Guest Sunflower12906

The Stress of it all

Guest Sunflower12906

How did you cope with the stress of it all, finding a job, rental or buying, which burb to pick, car buying, schools or even starting up a new business. I hear fishing was one way.

Ha ha. I'm not sure if I did. The whole (very long) process was amazingly stressful. I would randomly cry quite often, does that count? lol

I have done it twice now, don't think I could do it again. Think its because I am getting too old.

Hats off to everyone who comes out and has a go, I know on another forum they class people who return as failures, I do not believe this, to not try would be to fail. It takes a lot of guts and money to make the move.

How did you cope with the stress of it all, finding a job, rental or buying, which burb to pick, car buying, schools or even starting up a new business. I hear fishing was one way.

Bite sized chunks - just cut down everything you have to do and focus - you can't re-invent your whole life over-night! When we first arrived, we focused on the paperwork first, driving licences, etc. Then car. Then the job....and on it goes. Take the odd day off too and go exploring - there is so many lovely places to visit - Morialta Falls is a good place for a stomp and the gardens at Carrick Hill are nice too.

A year later and we are pretty settled though just about to turn it upside down again by moving from our current area to our own place - but it's not on the same scale, just a 40km move this time :)

Guest Guest75

Copious amounts of alchofrol is the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::wacko::wacko::wacko::cute::cute:

Edited by Guest75

Guest shugah

Hi ktee,

Your bang on mate well to each it's on but there are some vosels out there who think if you coming back then you did s**t. Well all i can say who gives 2 hoots about them.

Cheers,

Shugah

Guest vikkiann

We found it relatively stress free apart from when our container came and we realised how much stuff was damaged.

We already knew where we wanted to settle. Hubby found a job within a week, it actually fell on his lap from a member on here who contacted us. Finding a perfect rental took time because we were quite specific in what we wanted and gosh there were some dumps we saw! Kids settled well into school, bought a car from a guy moving back, nearly had a heart attack when we paid for 10 year driving licences each. I set up a cleaning business 2 months after moving here and it's been trading for 11 months now and I employ 4 members of staff.

I know some find it hard but for us it all fell into place and yes the price of white wine made it that little bit easier ☺

I sent my OH over three weeks before me and the kids and he did all the buying a car and finding a rental stuff :biggrin:

On a more serious note, my OH is from Adelaide and came over before the rest of us because he had been offered a job and the kids wanted to stay on the UK to finish the school year. We had already pretty much decided on the suburb we wanted to live in and the school for the kids based on his knowledge of Adelaide, our last holiday before moving over and lots of research. His family helped a lot with the buying a car and looking at rentals so he had quite a bit of support in those first two or three weeks.

The most stressful thing for us was after about three months when it was obvious my OH hated his job so much that he was going to have to quit and I hadn't found a job yet. Fortunately I got offered an interview and then the a job just as he handed his notice in so we still had one of us earning. We coped by talking about it and supporting each other. And alcohol and chocolate helped as well.