Blossom

Growing fruit and veg

Hello all.

I'm sure everyone has their reasons for wanting to move to Australia. Mine were the space and better weather for growing my own food.

After five years here I am still in a rental (I only got pr last year), so I have been pretty much restricted to pots.

I just thought I would start a thread about all the exciting things you can grow here to inspire those in the UK, and possibly some here.

I have all your normal type fruit trees, applies, peaches, plums, blueberries etc. But I also have lots which I couldn't grow in the uk. I have a lovely olive tree which I have grown as a standard. My first lot of olives from it are pickling at the moment (jumbo kalamata, they are huge).

I have a fig tree which I just got this year, so no fruit yet.

Last year I also picked up an avocado and a mango tree. Both had baby fruit, but they dropped off. :(

I have grapes and passionfruit growing over my outdoor 'cat room'.

My most prized trees are probably my coffee trees. I have had these for about three years I think and last year had a HUGE crop of berries. It takes AGES to process coffee beans! I actually haven't gotten around to tasting them yet. I'm not a big coffee drinker. One day lol.

I was very pleased with my first crop of almonds this year too.

The only native trees I have tried so far is the quandong (as I know I like the fruit), but they appear to be mega slow growing lol.

And of course there is all the citrus trees. I have cumquats, oranges, lemons, mandarins, and lemonade fruit.

I do have some raised veggie beds too. For two years I have tried to grow peanuts. No success so far.

I am bound to have forgotten something. I will post some pics a bit later. :)

wow - that's loads just in pots. Like you we're still renting so all we've got is an olive tree and an orange which had 2 fruits on it that we picked at the weekend

oranges.jpg

I think we may have been a little hasty because they were quite bitter still. It was nice though picking our own oranges.

I'm hoping when we move into our house in a couple of months we'll be able to do a bit more.

Guest Guest75

I'd be putting in as many rainwater tanks as you can, the cost of water makes growing things here very expensive.

You wont have much success with your mango, they are native to the northerly parts and so get loads of tropical rain.

I was told that about coffee too. There are actually a couple of mature mango trees around Adelaide covered in fruit. You just have to be more loving. :-)

I keep meaning to start growing my own but never got around to it. We got chickens for fresh eggs but instead the snakes got fresh chicken :sad:

Guest Guest75
    I keep meaning to start growing my own but never got around to it. We got chickens for fresh eggs but instead the snakes got fresh chicken :sad:

You just needed some little fellas from New Guinea then you could have had Snake and Pygmy pies........Boom,Boom!!! I'll get my coat and apologies to any non pc'ers out there ..............:cute:

No need for Hollands then!

Did you see the thread about roast guinea pig on pio, no thank you :shocked:

I would LOVE to try roast guinea pig.

I'm surprised I've never had any chicken fatalities. Apparently there are plenty of foxes around Adelaide, but they have never make it to my garden.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6532[/ATTACH]

One of my nice big olives. :-)

Tyke brought me a homemade bottle of Olive Oil when he came to stay, it went rather fast unfortunately

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6533[/ATTACH]

A plumcot. I forgot that in my list of trees. They are very nice fruit.

Is that a plum crossed with an apricot?

We have a lemon tree and a nectarine tree in the garden of our rental. The nectarines were lovely but the birds got to most of them before I did :skeptical:. The lemons have been great and we have had loads off. And the only care either tree got was some water every now and then when it was hot. When we finally build our own house we intend to put a couple of fruit trees in the back garden. Haven't decided exactly what yet, but a lemon tree is a strong possibility and possibly a lime tree or a nectarine tree (but with netting to keep the birds off). I also fancy trying to grow grapes or something across the back to hide the rather large water tank we will be having.

Our mandarin tree this year has been fantastic - and the birds don't seem to go for them at all (mind you, our two cats may have an influence there...) - we have a lime and a lemon tree as well, but they have not produced much at all. You're supposed to wee on citrus trees by the way!

When we first got here we grew melons, aubergines, courgettes, red and green peppers and tomatoes, but after the first excitement of eating our own produce when it was so cheap in the shops/markets anyway, we got bored with the necessary watering. I really want to plant some raspberry canes and a lovely guy in the hills told us to go see him in July to buy some, but I am struggling to find somewhere where it gets morning sun but afternoon shade to plant them.

Lots of what is now the Torrens Linear park used to be market gardens, so there are plenty of fruit and nut trees still growing there - walnuts, pistachios, almonds, pears, figs, apples, a fantastic mulberry tree, cumquats (I think), lemons, plums, and something that is like a cross between a lemon and a tangerine that we picked loads of and made great marmalade with. Black olives as well (which my dog seems to like eating off the ground. Also plenty of wild mushrooms but I've never plucked up the courage to pick and eat them.

Edited by Diane

Yes, I tend to stick to either veggies which are expensive, or ones that just taste far better out of the garden like potatoes, carrots, corn and peas.

My blueberries seem to do really well, but I don't really do anything with them. I will try to make an effort this year. Maybe a blueberry pie. :-)

Yes, they cost a fortune though, and often one part or other will become dominant. They reckon you are better off just putting two trees in the same hole if you are short of space.

Hi Blossom,I grew all my own food when I lived in Sth Oz.I did have my own place though.I also had huge water tanks which were sufficient.I grew the most awesome tomatoes,used to make soup with the surplus which was delicious!I had a walnut tree,peach and apricot tree's.I also grew chilli's.Grew pretty much everything in raised beds Blossom,and I do the same here in the UK!Have got a massive veg plot which is going very atm!Can't say I am really into anything too exotic veg wise but I did have a successful veg garden in Sth Oz..Have you read mags like Earth Garden and Grass Roots?They used to be my bible!Great magazines and really good if you are also into self suff type lifestyle.

Yes, I'm not keen on those ones. They have actual veggie growing ones now. :-)

I also grow my veggies in raised beds. I'll put a photo up when I get home from work.

image.jpg

Ohhhh dear, I'm terrible at getting the pictures the right way. Anyway, I've got three raised beds, an old metal bath and a Belfast sink for veggies. The greenhouse looking frame is my outdoor 'cat room' which has pots of trees etc all around it. :-)

image.jpg While we are on the subject of fruit/plants, does anyone know what these are? We have a large bush full but as the birds don't want to eat them we are leaving them alone too :frown: