Rabeah

Citizenship - good character documents

Hi members,

hubby and me were wondering about the good character documents for the Australian citizenship application.

Okay, we're not in a hurry, 'cos we've to wait 2 1/2 years before being able to apply. So my question is not urgent, but I think interesting for many of us in this forum.

We recently struggled about an issue we have. We came here 6 months after our 176 visa was granted, so our medicals and police checks were 6 month old until we fly out to Adelaide.

In the good character requirements for appling for Australian citizenship DIAC say you need a new police clearance in case of absence more than 3 months since the visa grant was granted.

Does that mean we have to reapply for a new overseas police clearance when we start our citizenship application in 2016? Our does DIAC accept the 6 month old police check from the 176 visa? How did you manage this who have gone through this process?

Would be very interesting to hear from members who came over months or 1 year after the grant date.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Cheers, Rabeah

To clarify a little bit more: our inital entry on our PR visa was exactly 6 months after the visa grant. Our police check was also exactly 6 months old. That police clearance doesn't count towards the citizenship requirements of DIAC, is that right?

You can't apply for citizenship until you have been in Australia for four years.

As far as I know (I've only had a quick glance as I'm not eligible to apply until November), you need new police checks to make sure you haven't been in trouble during that time.

Guest Adelaide_bound

Don't stress, it's super easy to get the police check from the uk here in oz - I just did it for my teachers rego you just need a uk cheque to pay, if you don't have a uk account anymore see if a uk friend can write a cheque for you and you bank transfer them or something :). You might need one uk one and the an oz one to cover the period you've been here for - you just go to the police station to apply I believe.

Guest Adelaide_bound

Cor thats super helpful blossom cheers for the heads up. I love oz lol