Guest Martin and Val

Web sites and hosting

Guest Martin and Val

Sorry, probably the wrong area to place this post but thebest spot I could find for it.

I need advise on web sites and email hosting and the best value domainsuppliers, if anybody can advise it would be much appreciated and I would liketo know if there are any web site designers out there.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin, for domain names, are you wanting .com.au's or .com's or something else? Also, for hosting, do you need to host the sites on an Australian server or is the location of the hosting company not an issue.

Guest Martin and Val
    Hi Martin, for domain names, are you wanting .com.au's or .com's or something else? Also, for hosting, do you need to host the sites on an Australian server or is the location of the hosting company not an issue.

Thank you for your quick reply.

.com.au

with web and email hosting in Australia

I have found an old tread on here with some hints and tips and I currently looking at www.crazydomains.com.au who are charging just $12 for domain registration with free parking in case your not ready yet with your web site.

And alos taking a look at http://webcare.com.au/index.php

Open to ideas.........

Cheers

Guest mactac

Hi there,

I am a web + graphic designer and have set up a few australian sites.

You can use a US host (cheaper and better) but you are better buying a .com.au vs .com if you have an ABN (aussie business number) - unless your business/site is international then go .com.

Crazy domains for buying the .com.au name --- but avoid their hosting as it is costly and not very reliable. Should cost you around $20 for 2 years for the name.

Hosting in the US about $60 per year.

There is no issue with using a US host as probably the biggest hosting company in Australia has their servers in the US or so Im told, go figure.

I have a site no.1 in Australia for its search term with a us host so there and that is proof it make no difference with regard to where the host is.

The .com.au helps big time with page ranking in most cases but again you must have an ABN to get one.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Mac

Hi Martin

I have about 20 domains registered and use dynadot, but that's not an option for you as they don't handle .com.au's. When I used to have .com.au's they were registered with crazydomains.com.au, no problems and definitely one of the cheaper ones ( there's some companies charging ridiculous amounts for .com.au registrations).

I'd echo what Mac says above, definitely more bang for your buck, hosting in the states (all the forums we run, including this one, are hosted in Chicago)

For hosting, I have a dedicated server with wiredtree. Before I needed a dedicated server, I used to always use hostgator to host my sites.

Guest Adelaide_bound

Have pmed you )( not allowed to say on here apparently, sorry about that)