Guest Guest75

Boat owner rules for guests / crew on board.

Guest Guest75

While browsing one of the local fishing forums I came upon a thread entitled "Boat rules"

I think the bloke who posted this below has it off to a tee, I know him,very nice bloke.

Quote.........................

If you wanna come out with me, at least make the OFFER to pay your share of the expenses at the end of the day.........it's up to me if I accept that offer, but I'll be pissed if you dont at least offer, and you wont be coming again.

It's not a free day out, so you will also help with the work (pulling anchor, cleaning, etc) or you wont be coming again.

Respect my boat and treat it as if it were your own, or you wont be coming again.

Out on the water, what the skipper says goes, as the skipper is ultimately responsible for the safety of everyone aboard, and any incident which may occur out there. I don't wanna have to argue the point or explain reasons why, as I may be quite busy at the time.

Seasickness is a bugger! The say it comes in three stages:

1) you feel as if you're going to die

2) you'll think you really ARE gonna die

3) you begin to worry that you WONT die

Get an early night, no alcohol the night before, have a light breakfast, take motion sickness pills the night before and in the morning prior to departure. Keep your head up, concentrate on the horizon, do not lay down or look down, drink plenty of fluids......if you still get sick, I'm compassionate, and I'll probably take you back in.

Most people I've had on my boat have been pretty good. They are keen to go, they offer to help out with fuel and fees, and they pitch in to help out. It makes for a good stress free day.

I'm not your mum, my job is not to wait on you, pamper to you, answer all your wants and needs, and pay for your day out, while you kick back and do nothing.

What I will do, is my very best to give you a comfortable ride, a stress free and enjoyable day on the water, and a good chance at fish, on a boat that's well maintained, safe and reliable, and I'll give you tips and advice to help you out if you are unfamiliar with boating.

If time is available I'll explain the operation of the boat and the accessories, along with how to read the water, the weather, signs to look for, things to avoid, how to navigate, and how to control the boat.

You're a team out there. You work together, you help each other out, and you split the workload.

If you see me put my lifejacket on..............PANIC! For your convenience, emergency exits are located here, here and here!

End quote..........................

Having a few rules and knowing the etiquette of boating goes such a long way!!!:biggrin:

Luckily my boat isn't big enough to really take people out. We could fit two more fine, but fishing would begin to get claustrophobic. The dog has been before. She just sleeps. :-)

Guest Guest75

I do get asked a lot if ever there is a spare crew slot. I'm fine about it.

I do tend to sneak out during the week as the launch ramps are much quieter and I don't get "pinged" ( spotted) on some of my fishing spots.

This means I do a lot of solos (done up to 120K round trip solo) but I do have a list of "old faithfuls" I call to see if they want to come out to play if not working.

I always go out with my boyfriend. He hasn't got around to getting his licence yet, and I can't launch the boat on my own (well ok, I probably could, at a push...). Anyway, I'm not going on my own. What if the engine gave up? I'd have to row! Lol.

That is so funny!

It's a bit sad that what you'd imagine to be basic courtesy and common sense has to be spelled out, though.

Maybe people don't realise how expensive it is to take a boat out, or that despite the fact you're wearing your French maids outfit that maid service is not included (if you weren't feeling sick before, I reckon that sight would do it!:biglaugh:).

:smile: LC