Adelaide house prices expected to rise by 40% over 5 years

Jessica Berry

The article below appeared in The Adelaide Advertiser last week. House prices in Adelaide have certainly been a lot higher than we anticipated. The only consolation is that now we have bought a house it should be a good investment.

Forecaster tips house price rise of 40 per cent in five years

Article from: h14_theadvertiser.gif</IMG>

March 28, 2008 11:40am

HOUSE prices are expected to rise by as much as 40 per cent during the next five years, according to economic forecaster BIS Shrapnel.

BIS Shrapnel director and chief economist Frank Gelber said housing affordability, already at record lows, would sink even lower as demand continued to outstrip supply.

Mr Gelber said there was currently a construction shortfall of 30,000 dwellings, but has forecast that number would grow to 60,000 by June this year and 129,000 midway through 2009.

An environment of rising interest rates had compounded the problem with people choosing to wait before buying or building property, he said.

This also meant that when interest rates stopped rising or eventually started to fall, there would likely be a surge in demand for housing which could result in a price explosion.

"We've got rising interest rates suppressing any upswing in demand for housing ... and we need to wait now before that demand comes through," Mr Gelber said.

"But when it does, it will be very strong."

The figures quoted by Mr Gelber are largely in line with Australian Bureau of Statistics data.

Calculations, based on the ABS established house price index, show that during the 10 years to December 2007, house prices rose an average of 9.9 per cent a year. The index rose 12.3 per cent in 2007.

In the 10 years before that house prices rose an average 6 per cent a year.

In the past 20 years, they have risen an average 7.9 per cent a year

Guest soggy
Very true, we bought and sold in the UK just at the right time before we emigrated.

We are definitely glad we have bought our house in Adelaide now, so will sit and hopefully watch its value increase.

me too :D

Simon

Guest Nick11

We sold our house at a boom time in the uk and bought here in mid 2007 and got our house for $20,000 less than asking price at an exchange rate of 2.39. I was gutted as we just missed the peak of 2.53 by a week and spent weeks cursing myself. In hindsight I now feel very lucky compared to what some newbies are going through. We've just had it valued at $60,000 more than we paid for it. Okay that's all relative as any future house we would like to buy has risen in price just as much if not more. However I count myself as being very lucky.

Good luck to all you guys out there - I wish you all luck

Nick

x

• 3 weeks later...

We went to an auction a few houses down the other week, just being nosey and the auctioner said a report had just been published of the top 80 places for mining and South Australia was number 4 in the world, he reckoned the mining boom hasn't even started yet and expects house prices to boom as well as a result of it.

Guest jill wright

Sounds like we all need to be getting there sooner rather than later!!. We were on with our visa two year ago having had skills assessment and SA sponsorship done then decided to delay visa application as I was accepted for Adult Nursing 3 year Dip course ( which after a year decided wasn't for me but you have to try these things). Hope we're not two years too late

Jill

Guest Russfamily

i heard one of the Brock estate agent sons on the radio this morning and he asked where is hot to buy and his reply was any where near water, mainly the beach and the nearer the better.

Hello, I don't live in Adelaide yet but what I have heard on Adelaide Radio(ABC) is that intesrest rate are considered now quite high causing a slow down in the housing market & prices stabilising, I wouldn't worry to much folks, incidentally you get a good feel for a place listening to local Radio on the net, we did it before when considering new Zealand 5 years ago & it swung us not to go due to the crime levels, also we checkn out the newspapers, all throught he internet, what a great thing.

It's funny you should say that cos when I was researching schools for my brood, apart from going to open days , I would read the school's newsletters if they were on line as these gave away far more info than the blurb given out in prospectuses. Some school's whole newsletter seemed to be reminding parents how their children should be attending, that homework was meant to be handedin, teachers shoul be turning up to classes ontime etc, yet their websites would paint a wonderful picture of the school.