star123

Black Screen of Death

Hi, got the dreaded Black Screen of death, can anyone help?? Or know someone that can?? Have tried all the normal procedure, but no luck!!! Any help be sooooo appreciated :-) :-) :-)

Hi, got the dreaded Black Screen of death, can anyone help?? Or know someone that can?? Have tried all the normal procedure, but no luck!!! Any help be sooooo appreciated :-) :-) :-)

What is the black screen of death? Usually it's blue. More info and help may come your way.

Its called that cos when you start laptop you just greeted with a black Screen and nothing else, who named it the black screen of death, dunno but find it rather fitting cos no matter wot i tried its just staring at me rather mockingly :-)

Guest BurgessFamily

does it beep on start up? do any lights flash? what does it do with the battery removed...does it boot?

Its called that cos when you start laptop you just greeted with a black Screen and nothing else, who named it the black screen of death, dunno but find it rather fitting cos no matter wot i tried its just staring at me rather mockingly :-)

Let start at the beginning.

Do you get any text up when you turn it on?

Do you have a flashing cursor on the top left?

How old is it?

Is it an ACER?

I am happy to help, but I need as much info as possible. Usually when it's so dead the data is safe.

Its windows 7,, on start on there is a small flashing cursor on left hand side that's it, just a black blue ish screen, have done the ctrl alt del button then F8 but nothin happens, will not do a thing...

Worst case scenario - your hard disk has failed. What is happening is the laptop is not seeing your hard drive on startup.

Do you have a CD or DVD in the DVD drive? If so, take it out and try again.

Next thing is goto the BIOS, and select startup method, and ensure it is HDD (Hard Disc Drive).

For a Toshiba you need to press Esc on most models as soon as you turn it on. If that doesn't work let me have the exact model number and I will look it up for you.

Worst case scenario - your hard disk has failed. What is happening is the laptop is not seeing your hard drive on startup.

Next thing is goto the BIOS, and select startup method, and ensure it is HDD (Hard Disc Drive).

For a Toshiba you need to press Esc on most models as soon as you turn it on. If that doesn't work let me have the exact model number and I will look it up for you.

Big thanks, will go try that now and let you know how it goes :-) :-)

Well, still no luck :-( its a toshiba satellite C660-2D7 that's the model name any further help be great if not its down the repair shop :-(

WOO HOO got it going - for now gotta leave it on till Wednesday to get my hands on some Ashes tickets :-) :-)