taran

Tax Return

Hello Lovely people

This is first year in Australia so haven't got experience in lodging tax return. Can you please recommend a reliable tax agent who will help us in getting a fat check from tax office:biglaugh:. Some people suggested at work that its very easy to lodge it yourself but I think that we might not know on the things we can claim for. All suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

Taran

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Taran, i think it can be easy but it might depend on your job, for me there is a list from HR that tells me all the things i may be able to claim for, we've always done our own, (and had a nice cheque back, not quite fat but fairly chubby:biglaugh:)it took about 10 minutes this year!

Good luck and congrats on your year anaversary!:biglaugh:

Edited by Claire-n-tel

Could just try any H&R Block agent, they will guide you through it, and next year the fee for the agent is also tax deductible.

From what I've heard of, some of the smaller independent agents could be more colourful with claims and get you a lot more, but it's your tax return and you'd be liable for any misinformation.

Guest BurgessFamily

They audit claims often. Everyone at my work was audited last year (for no other reason than simply selecting a business to audit). I know someone who was audited elsewhere and had to pay a lot back (they tried to blame the tax agent, but that fell on deaf ears).

That said, I also know someone (self employed) who claims to get over $15k back in tax each year, effectively paying no tax. :)

The volume based tax agents are probably not the best to instruct if you have UK and Australian tax issues to be addressed.

Make enquiry of their experience with UK source income if you have (say) UK rental income as well as an Australian salary.

Best regards.