Guest leah_jade1

help with everything!

Guest leah_jade1

Hey my names leah im super new to this site and ive just discovered you all in my last month here in adelaide! oh well I was wondering if anybody could offer me any help at all!

im here on a working holiday visa and I have to head back to the uk to finish my studies and i hope one day to make australia my home but until then i hav elots to be getting on with. The reason I came to oz was to stay with my fiance and now her mum has decided to move back to the uk so I been doing research into shipping containers etc and flying the pets back but its taking forever to hear back from people. I Am slowly reading through all the other discussions in this section but I have one main thing i need help with. My fiance is australian born, her parents are scottish and live here in oz. however she just applied for a Uk passport and got it (yay) however i have now heard that she has to live in the uk for 3 years before this passport is worthwhile? so what Im getting at is will she need to apply for a visa to work in the uk? sorry for rambling on its so much info to get through all at once but any help from anyone would be perfect!

thankyou!!

I think if you have a UK passport then you'd be just fine :) Does she physically have the passport? If so I can't imagine what would stop her working in the UK as any UK citizen.

Guest leah_jade1
    I think if you have a UK passport then you'd be just fine :) Does she physically have the passport? If so I can't imagine what would stop her working in the UK as any UK citizen.

thakyou for replying, yes she does have the passport. It was just an afterthought because to study in the uk and be classed as a uk citizen she had to have lived in the uk for 3 years? Im still not sure I think im gonna have to sit on hold for hours trying to talk to immigration!

The British passport is valid from day 1, she is a British citizen and she is able to work as soon as she arrives in the UK. If she wants to attend University then she may be classed as an international student because she has not been resident for the last three years. To get answers around this though you need to talk to the Uni that she will be attending and not immigration. I would think if she wants to study at a further education college then they would also have rules around residency, but again the best place to speak to would be the college she wants to attend.

Agree with the above. She'll have working rights etc from the off.

I think she'd be classed as an international student though as you have to have been resident in the UK for 2 or 3 years to be able to qualify for the student stuff. However, don't bother asking immigration, read the education websites and contact the uni or colleges direct (or read their websites re international students etc).

Guest leah_jade1

Thankyou so much for all your help and the links! made things a bit more clearer and its good no visas are needed for her to work etc and i guess studying will come with time if were not back here first!