Guest ReadyPenny

Machine Drivng Work

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Guys

I have a friend over from the UK on a 1 year WHV, he has machine driving tickets for digger, dumper, excavator, tractor. Experienced driver, mid 20s very enthusiastic hard worker. He can basically drive any machine.

Please let me know if you know of anything going or anywhere he can send his resume to. He's travelling Australia and looking for work along the way, he just bused in from WA via Ceduna!!! He needs a break :cute:

cheers all

Mandy

Hi Mandy

As far as I'm aware the UK licenses aren't relevant in Adelaide. I've been advised you can do a test but you need to have a statutory declaration saying you've worked more than 100 hours on the machines and then you an do a half day course for about $350.

I'm sure someone will correct me I've been wrongly advised.

Tracey

Hi Mandy, having machine tickets is not a requirement these days, however he will need VOC (varification of competency) and the interpretaion of actually what is an acceptable VOC varies greatly with-in the industry, for example some companies will accept an existing ticket as VOC, some will accept ticket but will run there own small VOC assessment on you (valid for their company only), some will insist that you get a certificate of competency, this has led to the stupid situation where you can work on one site but not on the one next to it:confused:

Training organisations do not now issue tickets but certificates of competency (what the hells different!!! except the size of paper) which are acceptable (well should be!!) countrywide so that will cover him for his travels around OZ.

In the meantime I suggest he tries with his UK tickets and see what happens. He needs to contact ---- Civil eng companies, planthire companies, earthmoving companies and the like and see what sort of response he gets and you never know he might fall lucky with some persistance.

He will also need to get his White Card before he can do any sort of work on a construction site, here in SA it is best to do this course with a registered training organisation and not an on-line one.

Even though I am in the industry I am, at this moment in time, unable to help with employment, but I wish him luck.

Cheers Keith

Guest ReadyPenny

Many thanks Kizzy and Keith for the information your have given me, very helpful