Childhood vaccinations in Australia

Guest mossmac

Guest mossmac

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell us how you go about getting babies vaccinated in Australia. We have a three month old baby who will need to get scheduled vaccinations after we arrive. Also have an eighteen month old but I think her next vaccinations are only due when she is four.

Do Doctor's surgeries in Australia have weekly Baby Clinics like they do here, where you can bring your baby along for their vaccinations, to be weighed, etc?

Also, do children need any other vaccinations in Australia which they don't routinely do in the UK?

One other thing, do Australia do the MMR jab, or do they do single measles, mumps and rubella jabs?

Thanks for any help,

Sarah

Hi sarah - Sorry i don't have any info, but you read my mind! I was gonna ask the same thing more or less as we've got a 6month old and were wondering what the mmr vacc. situation is in Australia - do they do single vaccines routinely or is it like the Uk? Hoping some other wise pesron knows and can help us! Jacinta

Guest mossmac

Thanks for your reply, Jacinta. Always good to know of other people who have similar questions! Hopefully someone out there will be able to help us!

Sarah

Easiest way is to pop along to your doctor's surgery where they'll arrange for your child to be put on the vaccination register.

The MMR jab here is the combined jab as per the UK. My daughter had hers a couple of weeks ago.

There are other jabs available such as vaccinationations for Chicken Pox. Check what's available when you see the Doc.

Paul.

There is a vaccination clinic at the Womens and Childrens hosp. I took my kids there, the nurses are really good and used to handling the children with you. After the 4 yr old ones they used to give out a going to school pack. the jabs are given by the nurses who are quick cos they do so many. However this hosp might be a bit far for you Deep Southies.;):cute:.

Jabs are 2,4 and 6 months, 18 months and 4-5yrs. Then in High school there is Gardecil for girls, ADPT for bor both. The ones at High school are done by the council area that the school is in.