coastie

Just about to book flights to Perth...

... and now I'm having second thoughts!

I'm being made redundant at the end of September and flying out to Oz in the first week in October.

I have a dilemma. I was always intending to go to Perth (lots of family there) but my sister has just emigrated to SA. She is really selling Adelaide to me. To complicate things more, my partner has just told me she prefers SA as well.

I don't know what to do. I've got some serious research to do and not much time.

My background is Electrical Engineer (20 years experience) but more into RF communications and IT. My idea job would be working for ASC on the submarines but I'm not a Aussie citizen.

Coastie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Your story sounds very familiar! We moved here in August 2004 and my brother and his wife had already arranged a recce visit to Perth when we broke the news. He too is an Electrical Engineer by the way! Anyway, they flew out to Perth in October, and arranged a short visit to us in Adelaide while they were here, fell in love with the place over Perth, had some very positive meetings with employers while they were here and ended up moving to Adelaide the year after us - and they're still here (two kids later as well!). Could you do something like that? Not saying you'd feel the same way about Adelaide - it's not everyone's cup of tea, and the employment situation is a little different now to how it was then - but seems silly not to check both places out to be sure.

Guest AliinAus

I think it's always best if you can to start the migration adventure somewhere you really want to be, and if your partner really likes the sound of SA and you're not bothered either way then consider researching SA. Nowhere has to be forever, and as Diane suggestednothing to stop you going to the other state to have a look

Edited by AliinAus
    typo

Thanks for your advice.

My girlfriend is staying in the UK for a little while longer to sort her father out who's coming with us. Fortunately they are both Aussie citizens and can come across when they like so I don't have to worry about them initially.

I could try Adelaide first and go from there.

Thanks again,

Coastie.

We've made the decision to go to Adelaide!

I'm just looking to book flights now.. Birmingham -- Dubai -- Adelaide with Emirates. (Book through Quantas £100 cheaper! - same plane).

I also have to move my bank address from Perth to Adelaide. I'm with NAB. Also changed my car shipping destination too.

Guest sithewindows

We found the same thing, much cheaper to book through Quantas. I have since found out that the Quantas seats are outside on the wing!

We've made the decision to go to Adelaide!

I'm just looking to book flights now.. Birmingham -- Dubai -- Adelaide with Emirates. (Book through Quantas £100 cheaper! - same plane).

I also have to move my bank address from Perth to Adelaide. I'm with NAB. Also changed my car shipping destination too.