Hi, I am working on a 457 visa at the moment and over heard someone say that once you have finished your 4yrs you can apply for permanent residency. I didnt think it would be that easy - can anyone advise me.

Thank you xx

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Sian!

This might help.....http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/visa-options-inside.htm

Hi, I am working on a 457 visa at the moment and over heard someone say that once you have finished your 4yrs you can apply for permanent residency. I didnt think it would be that easy - can anyone advise me.

Thank you xx

You would still need to qualify for a Pr Visa.You do not just need to be on 457 FOR 4 years to get Pr

You can apply for pr at any time you are eligible. You don't automatically get it after four years, and you may not even be eligible then.

There is a system where it is easier to get pr after two years with an employer. At that point you don't need to do the skills assessment.

Guest cyprus2001

Thank you xx

Hi we have been here two years on a 457 visa with my husbands company arranging it all, we are currently in the process of waiting for our permanant visa to come through, we were lucky enough tho to get employers to sponser us on this visa which really does help..

Thank you xx

You can apply for PR at any time you are eligible for one of the available visas.

The 2 year transitional route currently requires you to have been working for your sponsoring employer, on a 457 visa, in your nominated occupation for at least 2 years. At the end of that 2 year period your employer must have met their obligations, e.g. training Australians, and be in a position to offer you a permanent employment in order to nominate you for the permanent visa. Both you and your employer must meet the required selection criteria for this pathway.

If your aim is to remain in Australia over the long term and you are eligible for PR now then I suggest you give it serious consideration.

Tee