Diane

Republic or not?

We were having this discussion at work today.

Do you think it's time Australia cut the apron strings and became a republic?

Personally I think the biggest issue if they/we do this is who becomes the head of state if not the Queen? IMHO those people that put themselves up for election to public position tend to be those who want to rule, rather than serve (look at the sorry bunch we've got to choose from as politicians!) so the only option I can see is for someone to be nominated for the role for a fixed period of time, rather than elected.... but then that's not particularly democratic is it? Who does the nominating, and how do we stop it becoming a "reward for services rendered in the past" if someone like the Prime Minister nominates, ending up with a "jobs for the boys" culture.

Perhaps we should just pick an Australian family, and make them the next Australian Royals! But then, damn, we'd end up with someone like Rickie Ponting (where's the vomiting smiley when I need one!)

I do feel it's a little daft to have as our country's Head of State someone that lives on the other side of the world, but not sure what alternatives we have! Does Australia benefit in any way by staying part of the Commonwealth? Could the trade/defence advantages be replaced with treaties? Is keeping the right to join in at the Commonwealth Games a big enough advantage? I'm pretty sure Britain doesn't provide any monetary support to Australia (feel that would be kind of like asking one's retired parent to support their fully working offspring), but I could be wrong...

I've got nothing against the Queen and Royal Family and feel they do an excellent job for Britain, but isn't it time Australia grew up and left home?

How about if the person who is "Australian of the Year" becomes "Head of State for the Year" instead?

Sounds pretty cool actually!

You could even run a reality TV show as competition to get it for a year......................................................I'll get my coat.

I offered some food for thought on the royal baby thread on this topic. Personally I think if it is not broke then why fix it! and not to change for changes sake! ( this also applies if the matters were the other way around) but as is, I do not see anything detremental in what the royals stand for or either what they do or do not do for Australia, I am only seeing positives at present, though I am willing to hear any convincing evidence to the contrary. What we have here works and works well and this includes the British import of democracy, yet i do not hear cries of wanting to get rid of that! and just to throw in another slant on things, I believe it is possible for changes to come about, such as the roles of the Governer general and state goveners ( money saving there i do believe)

We have already grown up stand on our own two feet and always will, and I think this was more or less forced on Australia by the English government and not the royals, when England joined the common market as it was then when they just about abandoned Australia as a trading partner.

I look forward to what will follow on this thread.

Keith

How about if the person who is "Australian of the Year" becomes "Head of State for the Year" instead?

Should that be "head of States and territories" or do they have to go as well with a republic?

Need to be careful with Australin of the year ! it could be Ricky Ponting!! or even an AFL player!!

A republic means another politician at the top instead of the Queen which is not a good option, because Australians don't trust politicians anyway.

I'm not a conservative but I want the Queen to stay as the head of this beautiful country, and I say this as a German.

In Europe we've got all this crooks in republican countries as head of the country which costs the tax payers the same amount of money like the whole Royal Family due to elections for a new 'president of the country' every 4 to 5 years! The opted out presidents still get their high salaries, secretary, staff cars.

Australia will look a proper Charlie with a expensive new politician at top of the country.

A republic means another politician at the top instead of the Queen which is not a good option, because Australians don't trust politicians anyway.

I'm not a conservative but I want the Queen to stay as the head of this beautiful country, and I say this as a German.

In Europe we've got all this crooks in republican countries as head of the country which costs the tax payers the same amount of money like the whole Royal Family due to elections for a new 'president of the country' every 4 to 5 years! The opted out presidents still get their high salaries, secretary, staff cars.

Australia will look a proper Charlie with a expensive new politician at top of the country.

Very well put Rabeah, excepting the governors (of whomI feel sure we could manage without), the Monarchy really does not cost Aus anything, replacing it would, and as you say Rabeah not just a salary.

Zebedee I really love your idea, an Aboriginal person is the only legitimiate human being in this country to be worth becoming 'head of state'!!!

Keith you're absolutely right, the Monarchy cost nothing for Australians whereas the Republic will cost the tax payers a fortune and after having 4-5 head of presidents the rude awakening would come and would change public opinions back to Monarchy (of course than it's too late to switch again).

Some people claim a Republic is more 'modern' and suits Australia better. But these people conceal that Australians have to pay a price for that and add up to a huge amount with several presidents still alive. And in the end when those presidents are dead the former 'first lady' get all the widow's pension, so tax payers in my 'old' country even pay for dead ones.

How about if the current Royal Family send one of their group out here to be officially Australia's live-in royals? I reckon Harry would go down pretty well and he's not needed in England now there are three ahead of him. He could have a room at the Opera House in Sydney, and start a new Australian Royal Dynasty....

I think most of us don't really mind if we become a republic or not, I would just hope that we change for genuinely better reasons than staying in the commonwealth, and not just for the sake of a change.

I thought we still pay something in Australia for the commonwealth system, I don't know how much and I don't really know what the money is spent on, but I hope it's to balance out the wealth a little from the richer to the poorer nations, and not just for an athletics meet every 4 years where Australia wipe the floor with us all.

But are there benefits of being in the commonwealth, the UK is still Australia's 6th largest trading partner, are there tax benefits for trade between commonwealth countries and will we lose out if we cut the tie.

As you can see, I don't know the answers, but I hope when the time comes it's not just about jingoism, and we change or stay for beneficial reasons. I also hope we keep the Queen's birthday public holiday.

It's a shame that there are no decendants of Captain Cook lefft to be the Australian Dynasty. How about the top man of prisons?:idea: thats what Australia was all about originally (for England anyway) they took great care of us then (somewhat like the politicians look after us today!):huh:so why not now!!

How about if the current Royal Family send one of their group out here to be officially Australia's live-in royals? I reckon Harry would go down pretty well and he's not needed in England now there are three ahead of him. He could have a room at the Opera House in Sydney, and start a new Australian Royal Dynasty....

As I read this thread, the same idea came to me. king Harry of Australia, with a small 'k' obviously. Got to build his own palace but, just to prove he's up to the job, and his mum has to support him until he finds a wife wealthy enough to take over.

Between Keith and DougM you make him sound like King Julian from the Madagascar films, could just picture him swanning around Sydney at Mardi Gras in a tropical fruit head-dress and his army fatigues.....