Sign in to follow this  
Guest Elsbels

Rental Affordability Calculation

Guest Elsbels

How do rental companies in Adelaide calculate whether you can afford the rental amount on properties. My experience of renting in the UK is the rent has to be covered by half your (your joint) income. Can anyone help so we can establish our affordability before organising property viewing please.

I do not think they are interested whether you can afford it. They tell you what the the rent is and you accept it or not, it's upto you to work out as to if you can afford it.

Guest vikkiann

Or haggle the rent, we did! Only saved $20 per week but over a year it's another $1000 in your bank!

Guest Adelaide_bound

Ditto - me and hubby didn't have jobs when we were 'shopping' for a house - I put in a letter what we both did for a living, what I would probably earn (as I'm a teacher and there's a payscale) but for hubby it was hard as he is self employed and doesn't really know what he will be earning now we are in Oz (he's a website developer/designer), so we put down in the letter a random estimate, and we were accepted.

As one agent said to me "I've got people earning $2K a week who don't pay their rent, and people earning little more than the actual rent, but they always without fail pay, so you can't really go on someone's income in my experience" (she had been at the game rather a long time as well from her stories lol).

Basically if your name/face fits and the landlord likes the sound of you, you'll get accepted.