4. Perth

5. Brisbane

6. Surfers Paradise

7. Byron Bay

8. Port Douglas

9 Adelaide

10. Hobart

Guest Adelaide_bound

Have to say I don't agree, by a looooong mile, but that's the point of life - if we were all the same it would be pretty boring! :D

Agree it's not right. I've been to Surfers Paradise and it's really not somewhere I feel the need to visit again. There are some much nicer places on the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast.

Agree it's not right. I've been to Surfers Paradise and it's really not somewhere I feel the need to visit again. There are some much nicer places on the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast.

Agreed - really don't see the attraction of Surfers (the suburb itself - some others near it are nice). Interesting, though, how many of the ten, or others that spring to mind like the ones you mention, are in Qld.

Agree, Cairns and PD should have come top :cute:

Brisbane if its anything like its airport forget it. Hobart never been but heard its beautiful.

I suppose with all of them they each offer something different. I wouldn't compare Hobart with Sydney. Surfers is probably popular with schoolies and families wanting the theme parks.

Agree, Cairns and PD should have come top :cute:

Brisbane if its anything like its airport forget it. Hobart never been but heard its beautiful.

I suppose with all of them they each offer something different. I wouldn't compare Hobart with Sydney. Surfers is probably popular with schoolies and families wanting the theme parks.

There aren't any theme parks in Surfers (if it listed Gold Coast, I'd more likely agree with it, but Surfers?)

There aren't any theme parks in Surfers (if it listed Gold Coast, I'd more likely agree with it, but Surfers?)

True but they are 10-20 minutes away and most of us use Surfers as the base.

Guest AliinAus

Is that holiday destinations? I agree about surfers whilst we stayed and had a great time, I wouldn't want to live there.

I believe that it is not really the actual place but what one does when there which makes a place more memorable/notable, say for example Surfers Paradise (which is only a small suburb), does it actually mean Gold coast and it's interland and everything that can be done/seen in this greater area? And Cairns people go there for the Barrier reef, the Karund rail and the Sky rail not to hang around the actual city for a week or so.

I think most of will say " we went to so & so and really liked it" but what we more likely mean is we went there, and did this, that & the other saw here there and everywhere, but still bundle it all up as 'so & so'. If we therfor read the list as a general destination rather than a specific place then it may, I say may, be a little more believable, but still not in any personal preference order.

And Ktee, sorry to dissagree but to compare a city by it's airport! really!! ( note the obvious reverse comparrison can apply too). The view of a city from a train is usually not very inspiring either, as industry and backyards are the usual things abutting city rail lines, but we do not in general visit a city to view industrial estates do we? whats wrong with Brisbane airport anyhow, no different to most in my experience.

Keith

Guest Guest75

I agree that it is all relative to the visitor.

Large cities do not attract me or even some of the more "iconic" places such as Bondai or Surfers,they are just commercial for me.

On a fine sunny day I still enjoy South of Adelaide and the beaches for days out.

IMG_9509.jpg

Then there are the Flinders Ranges and beyond, now that is a special area.

Ktee, destinations for what? Holidays, work or as a place of residence? I can't really grade them as places to live as I have one visited a few of them. Adelaide is by far the best all round destination, Sydney only has the harbor to offer, but who can afford to live there, Melbourne has nothing of interest except miles of bypasses and toll roads, but Port Douglas is absolutely stunning........outside the holiday season. As for the rest, I'd have to have a good reason to pay a visit.

I've been on holiday to all those places and love them all for different reasons. If I could live in Sydney for 3 months it would have to be on the Harbour with all those fantastic views. And just hopping onto a Ferry for Public Transport is just the best.....beats getting on a bus with all those crowds and no fresh air. But Adelaide is just "home" and agree with Tyke about the Flinders Ranges it is just the best for the closer holidays - still about 400kms but that becomes "close" when you live in Australia. Did I see Darwin on the list? Especially Kakadu - because I think I like that best of all with all the amazing wildlife. (Of course only in the cooler months as I don't think I could cope with the humidity in summer.)

Is that holiday destinations? I agree about surfers whilst we stayed and had a great time, I wouldn't want to live there.

It didn't say Ali, but as most people on trip advisor are talking about holidays I think it would be that

And Ktee, sorry to dissagree but to compare a city by it's airport! really!! ( note the obvious reverse comparrison can apply too). The view of a city from a train is usually not very inspiring either, as industry and backyards are the usual things abutting city rail lines, but we do not in general visit a city to view industrial estates do we? whats wrong with Brisbane airport anyhow, no different to most in my experience.

Keith

Don't apologise for disagreeing I haven't been to Brisbane so can't comment. We had to get to the airport and there were tons of roadworks everywhere, plus the terminals are so spread out and customs is a lot stricter and takes longer, but that's because I'm use to Melbourne and Cairns, I suppose if I lived down there I'd get use to it. At least you have a train unlike Melbourne