SwanseaJack

Reccie in 7 sleeps

Hi

This is the way my daughter is counting down to our reccie. Getting very excited now seems it's been so long coming can't believe it is actually just around the corner.

Mow to be realistic we have a got an itinerary. Look at job vacancies ( primary teacher and call centre manager), places to live and schools, cost of supermarkets. Can anyone suggest other things that I should be doing on the reccie to make it beneficial.

Look forward to any advice

Many thanks kathy:smile::confused::smile:

If you have time, it might be worth taking a few days out to look at some of the more rural places. I was talking to someone the other day whose son's girlfriend is a primary teacher, and apparently just about all of them have to do a stint somewhere rural before they stand any chance of getting a permanent post. On the plus side though, there are plenty of short term contract posts apparently. How long are you staying for? Obviously if only a week or two this would probably not be feasible :smile: but if you have a month it might be possible to fit in a couple of short breaks to somewhere like the Clare Valley or Kangaroo Island (look for Damien's posts on here about KI if you are heading that way)

Bring coats!

I'm not sure if I'm just having a brain fade, but I can't think of anything else.... I'll come back if I do. :-)

Hi

Thanks for your quick replies. Staying just over two weeks. Interested to know as what is classed as rural. Have no problem doing that but think rural in SA is very different to rural in Wales. Is victor harbour classed as rural or could you name some rural areas many thanks.

Trying to pack my park with a mixture of summer clothes with a few jackets but when checking weather it says 15*C or is that wishful thinking.

Thank you. Kathy x x

I'm not sure teacher wise if that counts as rural. Two weeks isn't very long really.

The weather at this time of year is up and down. For example. Yesterday was around that, and BEAUTIFUL. Hardly and wind, sunshine. Lovely. The mornings and evenings however are still COLD. We are getting the odd frost, it's that cold over night.

Other days it can be lovely IF you are in the sun. As soon as you go in the shade it's bloomin cold.

Today was very windy. Not too cold (I still had t shirt, hoody and coat on outside) but grey and miserable looking. No rain, but the threat of it.

I work outdoors and there have been the odd day recently when I have got down to a tshirt (only while in the sun). That is after starting off with tshirt, jumper, coat (nice padded feather one), scalf, hat and nice thick gloves.

Don't be thinking shorts and dresses. It isn't that warm yet. Especially if you go up into the hills.

Have a lovely time and please share your thoughts with us once you are back. One quick thing, be prepared for the jetlag to hit

Only thing I can think of to suggest is have a good look around lots of different parts of Adelaide. Stop off and have a walk around the shops and stop for a coffee or something. The more places you get a feel for the better placed you are to decide where you want to live (or not to live) longer term. I'd also suggest trying to spend your time doing the kind of things you might do on weekends, so go grocery shopping, do cooking and washing (assuming you staying somewhere where you can do that), and any other domestic kinds of things you might do on a weekend.

Agree with Blossom that the weathers a bit variable at the moment. It was actually quite mild and really nice where we are today - just a light breeze. We spent the afternoon doing some gardening. It's certainly not beach weather, but then it is winter. Make sure you do some fun things while you are here as well as reccie style stuff. Have a great time.

Hi

Thank you all. Yes in an apartment so can do some of the domestic chores. Will put an extra jumper or two in the bag and shall post how it went on our return

Kathy x x

Guest Sarah Bradley

Enjoy, have a look in the Saturday papers for jobs and try going to some house inspections. The times, days and areas are all listed in the papers on Thursday. It's a fun thing to do here and will give you an idea about how much house you can get for your money in different areas. They don't mind you just looking round even if you are not looking to buy, the person selling goes out and the agent shows you round a very tidy house. Quite happy to meet up for a coffee if you want to, we live in the Brighton area (south of the city) PM me if you want to arrange something. Have a great trip Sarah

Be prepared to feel very jetlagged. We returned from a holiday back to England just over a week ago and it has taken us ages to get over the jetlag, the worst I've ever had it (mind you they say it affects you more the older you get!). At least you don't have to get up for work/school, and you can follow your own timetable, although the contrast from long summer days to short winter days is quite noticeable.

Hi

Have arrived been here just over 24 hours all great so far no jet lag as didn't sleep much on plane so arrived 6 pm tired. Been to the city been on a tram, been on the free bus and been shopping at Coles. Little more expensive but not the nightmare I expected. Shall keep the post updated

Kathy

Hi

Have arrived been here just over 24 hours all great so far no jet lag as didn't sleep much on plane so arrived 6 pm tired. Been to the city been on a tram, been on the free bus and been shopping at Coles. Little more expensive but not the nightmare I expected. Shall keep the post updated

Kathy

Hi and welcome, enjoy your time here and hope it all works out for you.

Keith

Hi

Kathy

Welcome to Adelaide, look forward to your feedback.