Guest Lulujim

On Arrival Accommodation!!

Guest Lulujim

:)

Hi,

We are hoping to apply for OAA when we eventually get our visas. I have just read that a family didn't get it.. but that another couple of famlies did get it. Is it simply a matter of pot-luck? Or does it go on size/age of family, job security/offer etc? Any help would be very much appreciated, thank you!

Guest Tracijbc

Definitely down to pot luck.

We got declined this morning, probably due to having no kids.

Best of luck

T x

Guest Lulujim

So sorry to hear that.. but maybe these things are done for a reason (or it helps me to think that there are bigger forces at work anyway!!!) Hope you find great accommodation and just think, at least you'll be in control of where you're staying and for how long. Hope it all works out for you x x

Guest chippie74

i dont think kids matter...we had oaa in a big 2 bed unit..just me and the girlfriend

Guest Libby1971

OAA is Housing Trust Accommodation. It is awarded for 12 weeks at a time and therefore is offered to couples or families on the basis of where there are vacancies. Also if you say you want Onkaparinga Hills area, well there aren't any places there so the nearest in Christies Beach. BUT if at the time of processing your application, it shows that Tea Tree Gully is the only OAA available, they are not going to offer you that.

It also depends on date you are arriving. The 12 weeks may be up very soon for someone.

The notice given for leaving OAA is on a Friday so they will know then if there is any where available for those arriving in whatever weeks time it is.

I know families and couples who were offered it. We asked for Onkaparinga Council area (anywhere from Aberfoyle Park to Hallett Cove and down) and we got Everard Park which is 10 mins out of the city. It really is the luck of the draw. We were out of there as soon as we could.

Libby

I think it is pot luck. We are a couple with no kids and we were originally told that they did not have any accommodation available for us, but then we received an email saying they now had a 1 bedroom place if we were interested.

You can have the accommodation for a maximum of 12 weeks but we stayed 2, so just remember there will be a turnover of people and people not staying the full 12 weeks, so you could get lucky.

Guest Lulujim

Thanks to you all very much indeed. I guess pot luck is the only way it can be managed fairly.

So do people book other rental accommodation that they can cancel at short notice, or wait until they've heard back about the OAA and then go to Plan B!

Libby - How do you find out whic areas are under which councils? Do you need to say a specific area - or can you say you'd be happy to go anywhere??? :o

Thanks again x

Guest soggy
    Thanks to you all very much indeed. I guess pot luck is the only way it can be managed fairly.

So do people book other rental accommodation that they can cancel at short notice, or wait until they've heard back about the OAA and then go to Plan B!

Libby - How do you find out whic areas are under which councils? Do you need to say a specific area - or can you say you'd be happy to go anywhere??? :o

Thanks again x

Hi,

I only found out I had oaa 10 days before as there was a backlog after Christmas, I put an advert asking for 12 weeks accomodation suitable for a couple and 1 teenager in www.gumtree.com Adelaide section and got 3 offers that would have been suitable, I was also checking the availability of hotels on websites in case, the day I was going to cofirm a 2 bed unit I got the email telling me I had oaa, about 5 mins from the unit I was going to book but less than half the price. When asked where I want to go I just said south.

Simon:D:D:D

Guest Libby1971

Thanks again x

There is a question! I think it was from www.adelaidebound.com which a member of this site created to made available the huge amount of research she had done on Adelaide to others.

I think there is a section about councils. Basically a district council is called a City Council here. There is the city of Marion, the City of Onkaparinga which are the only two I know because they are the two I have lived in most recently.

You need to be a bit specific, so I would narrow it down a bit. Anywhere but Hackham or Elizabeth is a start and then after that, it is down to you.

Libby

Guest Unch&dougs

Can someone who was lucky enough to get OAA let me know how long the application took to be determined?

We are possibly in the throes of selling our house but buyers want pretty quick entry. We don't want to be homeless even if it is in a nicer place.

Guest Lulujim

Hi guys -

I have looked on the SA website - and the info on rental prices are as follows:

Rental costs depend upon the location, size and age of the property, but generally range between $140 and $260 per week (subject to change). Rent covers the cost of water, electricity and gas.

The website is:

http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/services_onarrival.php

Hope this helps!

Guest anna niks
    Hi guys -

I have looked on the SA website - and the info on rental prices are as follows:

Rental costs depend upon the location, size and age of the property, but generally range between $140 and $260 per week (subject to change). Rent covers the cost of water, electricity and gas.

The website is:

http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/services_onarrival.php

Hope this helps!

hi there

i didn't no the rent covered the bills as well , thats real good . thanks for that info .

Guest soggy

Hi,

I am in OAA at the moment, 3 bed unit, $134 a week and including bills, it is very basic and quite old, but it is $134 a week and including bills !

Simon:D:D

Guest anna niks

im sure for that money we could all put up with basic for a bit ah , :), and with bills all in you'd be silly not to , just hope we can find something simular.

Guest dunnarunna

hi donna (jarnasa)

what sort of property, prices and locations have you got, i have put in for oaa and should have an outcome this week, if we dont get it we will need to find somewhere else fairly quickly as we leave in 3 weeks time, pm me details

thanks donna

Guest soggy
    hi donna (jarnasa)

what sort of property, prices and locations have you got, i have put in for oaa and should have an outcome this week, if we dont get it we will need to find somewhere else fairly quickly as we leave in 3 weeks time, pm me details

thanks donna

Hi,

I was in a similar postion as you waiting to here about oaa,I put an advert in the flat house rent / wanted section of http://adelaide.gumtree.com.au/ and got 3 offers that would have been suitable.

Simon

Guest dunnarunna

thanks for that simon i will keep it in mind if we are unsucessful with oaa, still keeping everything crossed.

donna

Guest Louise

Hi

Me and my husband applied for it but we got turned down. Not to sure why but it could have been because we dont have any kids. Also they seem to do it on the highest priority families so I guess it is a bit pot luck. But I would say apply and see how you go.

Louise