noworriesmate

Builder or self-manage?

I'm at the point of looking to build a couple of houses on a block of land (Well i'm doing one and my son will do the other)

My question is whether to just simply get a few builders to quote for one/two of their kit homes or whether to design the houses we want using an architect and then self-manage the build going trade by trade. Anyone tried doing the second option? any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

NWM

If you are going to live in them I'd say always get an architect in and have the house you want to live in (within your budget obviously). Flow, light and so on all play a part to what makes a house a home. do kit houses come in a decent range to give you options?

As snifter said depend if you want to stay in them. If your in the building trades its a whole lot easier to self manage. If not and don't know the trades you are using you could end up in a right mess and take twice as long and cost a lot more to build .

I'm at the point of looking to build a couple of houses on a block of land (Well i'm doing one and my son will do the other)

My question is whether to just simply get a few builders to quote for one/two of their kit homes or whether to design the houses we want using an architect and then self-manage the build going trade by trade. Anyone tried doing the second option? any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

NWM

Hi noworriiesmate, I was an owner builder on my house in Brisbane, I got a drafter to draw up my design, a structural engineer for the foundations and other such items, a private certifier for the inspections and completion certificate and also getting the trades in to price and do the work, even though I work in construction, knew some tradesmen and did the foundations and a fair bit of other work myself, it turned out to be expensive and stressful and I would not go this route again. the only real plus is that we designed the house so it is unique but not different, and it is the house we wanted.

It could well have cost us more because we were in a boom time and all trades were busy and difficult to get hold of, but the stress will still be here in co-ordinating and job demarcation so you have to now exactly what you will / want each trade to do and they are willing to do.

My advice is to get a builder, and this can be either - 1) one of the major husebuiler to build one of their own standard homes to your options. or

2) Design your own house (drafter, architect or a general builder) and get a general builder to price and build.

With both these options you will, in general know what the costs will be from the start, and at present general builders are pricing low to keep in work ( I am using one at work and was just talking with him about this yesterday)

But Kit homes! mate a shed's a shed whatever the salesman tells you! do more research on that one, depreciation, longer term maintainance issues, ease of resale etc.

I also built my own house in England and that was not half as stressful as this one here.

Good luck with whatever way you go and feel free to ask more questions. Keith

Yes Blossom they can, especially these days, look great, but all I am saying is that research is needed to make a considered judgement call. could be worth looking around (inside and out) some which are 10-15 years old, talk to owners and real estate agents.

so long as we are happy with our choice then go for it.

We're building our own house but we know nothing about building and both work full time so are using one of the main big builders. It's still taking lots of our time though. What I would say though is you don't have to just use one of there standard plans exactly how it is - some builders are happy for you to customise them. We have taken a standard plan and made it wider in places, enclosed the living area, moved a few other walls around and completely changed/customised the kitchen layout. We had a different plan originally that we customised even more (had a facade from a different range of houses, moved even more walls around, basically completely changed the floor plan) but an argument with the council about a tree meant having to change the house around so we took a new standard design and just made a few essential changes to it. We are also having UPVc double glazing instead of the standard stuff the builders normally use.

Our block is a subdivision and our next door neighbours customised the house design as well to put in four bedrooms instead of three and also completely changed the kitchen by having a walk in pantry and putting in an island thing. They have also added an alfresco area outside under the main roof. They did use the same builders we are but most of the builders we spoke to said they would be able to make changes to the standard designs.

Thanks for the replies,

I've looked at a number of local builders and their show homes - My favourite by far is Metricon however their prices mean it's probably not worth my while going with them in the location I am planning to build (Noarlunga area). I'm therefore considering using a number of their (and others) design ideas to help create my own design and then putting the plans out to tender with local building firms thus hopefully getting the design I want but at a price I can afford.

NWM

Thanks for the replies,

I've looked at a number of local builders and their show homes - My favourite by far is Metricon however their prices mean it's probably not worth my while going with them in the location I am planning to build (Noarlunga area). I'm therefore considering using a number of their (and others) design ideas to help create my own design and then putting the plans out to tender with local building firms thus hopefully getting the design I want but at a price I can afford.

NWM

A good decission NWM, at least then you will get a comparrison wth the major guys. watch out for the exclusions or more correctly the things they don't actually say in thier quotes.

Good luck and let pia know how you get on, others may well need to hear about it.

Thanks for the replies,

NWM

Ask Pablo to build them for you, the poor guy needs a break.