Guest the4hopes

Child benefit

Guest the4hopes

Hi,

I noticed Libby mentioned there was an Australian version of child benefit.

We are going out on a permanent visa with 2 daughters 13 and 16, could we claim this?

Also does anyone know how much it is?

It would be really helpful as it would be a bit of spending money for the girls before we find work.I'm trying to put money by at the moment for them.

Thanks, Laura x

Hi as a permenant resident you should be able to apply for family tax benefit. For 2 children you can earn upto about 108000 a year before you get nothing. From about 80000 the base rate of $42 per fortnight per child decreases by about 30c for every dollar you earn over this. The less you earn below the base level threshold the more they give you. If a child over 16 has a p/t job they are allowed to earn up to about $11500 a year before you get nothing for that child. You can claim until they are 21 if they are dependent on you and up to 25 if they are a full time student.

You apply at centrelink offices , but you can also apply online.

If you are not working straight away you may be able to get a healthcare card and apply for school card which lowers the school fees that you pay. However if you are coming towards the end of the year you will only have to stump up for a term's fees and then hopefully you will have work by the following year.

Rachel

Guest coleman

Thanks for your information on family payments i have had a look on the centrelink website what does payments a and b mean? and do you get both if only one parent is working.As we have a 176 visa i think we can claim something straight away? As we havent got a job offer yet every bit of information on this helps to see if its going to be possible to manage untill we start earning. we are ment to be going in a couple of months and getting worried about not having a job for HUSBAND

Family benefit B is aimed at families where there is no 2nd income or the 2nd income earner earns less than $12000 ish. Single parents also are eligible for B payments. You get more if you have a child under 5. These payments are in addition to Benefit A payments. Benefit A payments are what everyone is eligible for if they earn less than the cut out amount. This amount includes all income received. Each year you have to estimate how much you will earn for the financial year and the payments are worked out on that amount. If you end up earning more then you will have to pay back the amount that you are not entitled to anymore. It is possible to receive just the base rate and you get the rest at the end of the tax year or you can not receive any during the year and then claim it once you have received your tax return back showing how much you earned for that year. This is a good way if you are going to be close to the cut off level and don't earn a set amount each year.

Rachel

I don't know what it's like in the UK anymore, I used to have a book which I took to the post office to get the money. Here it's paid into your nominated bank account.

Guest coleman

Thank you so uch for your help you make is all so easy to understand i spent ages on the website and was still confused thank you again.

Still dont know if we are coming over as no job we have to be over my September as visa cut off point if were coming it wont be long its a nightmare.such a hard decision Thanks again

Debbie

Guest Django
    Still dont know if we are coming over as no job we have to be over my September as visa cut off point

You could always fly over before September for a holiday to 'activate' your visa. This would give you five years to find a job before making the move permanent.

Pete

Guest coleman

Thanks that is a good idea but my son is 14 and my daughter is 11 so as regards their education its now or never really

thanks for the reply.

Debbie