SwanseaJack

Teaching in Alice Springs on a SA visa

Hi

Strange question here have a 190 visa for SA working as a primary teacher.

Went to the DECD today to discuss ways into teaching. Was told about teaching in Alice Springs to gain favour when applying for jobs in Adelaide. Also excellent benefits. Thought of a few question after I left but couldn't get n answer when I rang back. So can anyone help:-

Would the teaching posts be in the town or the indigenous communities?

Would you gain favour for working south of Victor Harbour or north of Gawler? (know benefits aren't as hood).

Any advice or answers welcome

Kathy

(got a little girl of 5 so little weary of safety don't want to offend anyone with these thoughts just don't know enough at moment hence thread ):confused:

If you are looking for more info on Alice Springs itself I'd suggest posting and asking over on our sister site Poms in Oz as a few members have lived there or do. Could give you some insight into the town.

My understanding is that going anywhere outside of the greater Adelaide area will stand you in good stead. Smaller towns and so on a fair few hours out or more but you could still have a nice life there for a couple of years I am sure. Guess it really comes down to where the jobs actually are.

As for teaching, you've PR on that visa right? SS? If so, I think the obligation to remain in the state is a moral one, not a legal one. Immi website says

Features

• This points-based visa is for skilled workers who are nominated by a state or territory.
    • A visa holder can live and work permanently anywhere in Australia.
    • Certain family members can be included in the application.

Hi

Just want to clarify that the lady in the DECD in Adeliade has recommended that I work in Alice Springs as the DECD in ADELAIDE will look at it favourably.

So not going against agreement with sponsored state as they are making the recommendation to me.

Kathy

Guest Adelaide_bound

I know this isn't the popular view with lots of people on PIA and PIO but I have to say, I'm finding it *really* easy to get work here in Adelaide metro - we live in Felixstow and I've worked every single day I've wanted to since my rego came back doing TRT - and I have to add that I'm *really* glad I decided to do TRT before taking the plunge and trying to get a full time etc contract, as I'm getting to know where I do, and more importantly where I don't want to be stuck in a contract! This is as a Primary teacher btw (and my qualification isn't as a primary teacher, its as a secondary one...)

I haven't done any work from DECD schools, but that's because the system is just broken from what teachers in the system as well as the schools/receoptionists etc say - its just a faff. Catholic and Indy schools pay ok for TRT, and if you get a position they pay to scale as well then, so that's good. You no longer need Catholic Clearance (a catholic police check) for Catholic Schools, your TRB rego police check covers it, and you don't have to be Catholic to teach in some/most Catholic schools (I'm very much not Catholic, however would consider myself more catholic than two of the schools I've been in lol). From what I can gather you have to be more religious for a couple of the religious Indy schools, the creationist Christian type, but thats not the majority of them, again from what I can gather.

Having spent some time in Alice, its not somewhere I would really choose to bring up a young family, but that's just me - lots of people do, but given the choice between Adelaide and Alice, Adelaide would win hands down (despite being SO cold compared to Alice lol). Postings there would probably be out in a community - which depending on the community could be hell on earth, and NOT somewhere I would take a young child, or really really lovely and an amazing experience (we lived in one that was somewhere in between imho), but there could be one in town as well - however obviously the community posting would be easier to obtain. Please DO NOT underestimate how difficult it is living very very remote in a community though, it is NOT like living somewhere out of the way in the UK etc. The benefits are amazing though - you get remote pay on top of your wages, plus either free housing (and utilities) or very heavily subsidised....basically you are saving most of your wages each year (apart from the fact food will cost you about triple in a community due to the costs of getting the food there, and that you only have the one community shop to shop at, or get Coles/Woolies to deliver on the community food shop delivery every week/other week depending on their schedule (we had ours every two weeks). I know I sound incredibly negative about living in a community, and I don't mean to be as we had an AMAZING time and really loved living there, but I said at the time I wouldn't have a child there, for lots and lots of reasons - feel free to PM me if you want to chat about it at all...

Seriously - leave the country postings to the young uns coming out of college, do some TRT, get your foot in the door and get a position that way (unless you really really suck at teaching, but then if that's the case, maybe think of another career anyway? :P LOL). A lot of people I have talked to in schools have obtained their position that way, as have a couple of other people I have talked to in general out of schools and not on forums...

Hope that helps a bit :) Term 1 is a bit lighter on TRT, but from Term 2, all the TRTs I'm talking to have worked as much as they have wanted to, and that is certainly the experience I am having :)

Good luck and enjoy :)

Hi Kathy

I suspect (I may be wrong but this is my gut feeling) that as you are FOB (fresh off (the) boat) they probably think they can talk you into teaching at Alice because they are probably struggling to get people to teach there.

If you are looking for an experience you will never forget I suspect you may experience that teaching/living in Alice. However, it would not be my choice to live/work there especially if I had children.

I am not sure about the sales pitch about gaining favour for other schools in Adelaide. If I was looking to recruit, I would see that you have worked at Alice and you may get pigeon holed working at one of the more 'challenging' schools in Adelaide as you will be seen that you could handle it.

I went for an interview once as a trainer working on a project in a certain suburb in Adelaide and then after the interview because I came across as confident and could 'handle' myself they wanted me to train at another suburb which is not known as a great suburb and then gave me a list of instructions like don't give out your surname, you will be on the premises on your own etc. I turned the job down!

Hi

Thanks for all the advice from these posts and chatting to people I think Alice is a no no for my family.TRT s the path to take

Thanks

Kathy

I've never been to AS,but know a few people who have,and also having read quite alot of posts about it on another forum.Tbh the majority would not recommend you go there.However Gawler and Victor I know very well because I have siblings that live in both places.Gawler is easy commute to the city/beaches and what not,and I actually really like Gawler as a town.Although when we moved to Oz (1970)Gawler was like a fairly far out country town,but since Smithfield and so on have been expanded,there are only a couple of large paddocks separating Gawler now from the burbs.Victor is really nice too,but very quiet.Its known affectionately as gods waiting room as alot of older people move down there for retirement.It has some gorgeous beaches nearby and tends to be very busy during summer months.The only downside (and this is only if you prefer a city)is the distance/drive to the city.If you only want to visit the city occasionally it would'nt be a problem.Not sure about the schools as my sister moved there when her kids left home.Either place would be a good place to live imho.

I've never been to AS,but know a few people who have,and also having read quite alot of posts about it on another forum.Tbh the majority would not recommend you go there.However Gawler and Victor I know very well because I have siblings that live in both places.Gawler is easy commute to the city/beaches and what not,and I actually really like Gawler as a town.Although when we moved to Oz (1970)Gawler was like a fairly far out country town,but since Smithfield and so on have been expanded,there are only a couple of large paddocks separating Gawler now from the burbs.Victor is really nice too,but very quiet.Its known affectionately as gods waiting room as alot of older people move down there for retirement.It has some gorgeous beaches nearby and tends to be very busy during summer months.The only downside (and this is only if you prefer a city)is the distance/drive to the city.If you only want to visit the city occasionally it would'nt be a problem.Not sure about the schools as my sister moved there when her kids left home.Either place would be a good place to live imho.

Thanks Lily

Think we have definitely gone off the idea of AS. Think it's fine if your young but not with a family.

Intend to drive to Port Augusta so may make a detour to Gawler also.

Thanks kathy

You could also look at somewhere like Bordertown or Clare or the Yorke Peninsula, or KI - all would probably count as more remote than metro Adelaide. My boss lives out near Clare and there seems to be a great community spirit out there. Alice seems a bit extreme if you're just trying to get something rural on your CV! There's 'remote' and then there's 'REMOTE'

Someone (I think on this forum)asked about Port Augusta quite a long time ago.I've been to PA,and although its not the prettiest town,I love towns in Oz.They usually have really great community spirit,and close knit communities.PA is an easy town to get around (Go on Google Earth for a virtual drive around)and housing is cheaper.On the neg side,shopping might cost your more,and petrol (although please don't quote me on that,times may have changed on that front).I'd give it a whirl if it were me.What have you got to lose?You get to experience living in a fairly large rural town,when most immigrants would probably dismiss these places due to not being close to a city.Best of luck and let us know what you think of PA.