Guest will_y

Special need schooling provision

Guest will_y

Hi all,

Does anyone have information on provision for special needs kids in adelaide, one of my children is 8 and has mild autism. He has just passed his SATS and is looking to progress back to mainstream but with support. I understand that the aussie system promotes inclusion is this the case and if so how good are they?

Any and all info greatfully received.

Rob

My kids have been in classes with kids with Aspbergers. Yes a lot of kids stay in the main stream and support is provided if needed, but it depends on severity. If you got him into a school with few behaviour probs there might be more resources. My friend's son finished yr 12 last yr at his local high school and he has mild autism. The kids are usually assessed and then things get put in place for them. You need to contact the dept of ed to find out more. www.decs.sa.gov.au

Rachel

Guest will_y

Thanks Rachel, will take a look at the website.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I worked with an Australian teacher last year who I used to bombard with questions about this topic as I currently work in a special needs school. From the info I got they are very keen to intergrate children as much as possiable, the children are assessed and extra support like extra staff can be provided, however, extra teaching support can be limited in some cases, but I suppose that just depends on what school it is. In some special needs schools in oz she said children tend be mixed together regardless of difficulties/ ability and age. However, this was more the case with children with severe difficulties. Although this is also starting to happen in the uk with the combining of special schools.

Liz

Guest Roo1

I know my sons school Hallett Cove South Primary, have a very good intergration programme. Maybe worth googling their website and popping Max, the head teacher, a line?

Cheers

Judi x