Keith & Linda

What is the best tablet, iPad or others?

Hi everyone, thinking of getting an iPad or similar, as my wife and I are not really into this sort of stuff (0ne and two finger typists!) we need advice on what are some of the best options out there, we are not big users and do not really need allsorts of programmes or 'apps', but will need world wide internet access, emails and photo storage. we plan to take this when we go on our holidays, more through neccesity these days with most things for our travel arrangements done through the net. We do not usually bother as cannot really see the need in having this technology to hand 24/7 and it is too much hassle carrying laptops etc around so we will try something smaller and see how we get on. Not interested in smart phones, a local $2/pound sim card in any old phone takes care of local phone calls.

Your comments appreciated.

I'd always buy Apple but then everything else we run is Apple also so it makes sense for us. Plus they just work.

For what you want, don't spend on an iPad unless you really want one. Get an Android tablet of some kind.

Best bet, go check out some and see what you like. Google Nexus and the Galaxy Note are two to consider. Oh and the Kindle Fire.

Anything running on Windows I'd avoid if it were me.

Edited by snifter
    typo

I recently bought a nexus 7 for my son on recommendation from my nephew.. Took it back after a week as it wouldn't charge.. googled the nexus & found this was a common problem,

The functions on it were ok and you could download apps etc but the settings weren't that simple or straight forward (unless you know what you're doing!)

Ended up getting a refund and got an ipad mini as they are so simple to use.. Had a couple of issues setting it up using an existing account but the support I got from apple was excellent!

...Not interested in smart phones, a local $2/pound sim card in any old phone takes care of local phone calls.

Your comments appreciated.

Oh go on, get yourself a smartphone too while you're at it! You'll quickly wonder how you ever lived without one!! Today on my (beautiful-wonderful-love-it-to-bits) iphone I read a book on my Kindle App, kept up with the cricket score on my ESPN Cricinfo app, took a photo of a map from my computer screen as the printer was out of paper to get me to my son's soccer match successfully, and used Google maps to get me near there, played games during the annoying adverts between overs in the cricket, put my shopping list onto the notepad app, used the phone as an alarm to wake me up after an afternoon nap (!!) ... oh and made a few calls/sent a few text messages as well! I'd be (literally) lost without it!

Guest ColinOz

The new google nexus 7 is awesome!! and cheaper than an Ipad

I would recommend an iPad all the time. If you ever have any problems or just need some help with a function, you can pop into any apple store in the world. It doesn't matter where you bought it or how old.

I'd always buy Apple but then everything else we run is Apple also so it makes sense for us. Plus they just work.

For what you want, don't spend on an iPad unless you really want one. Get an Android tablet of some kind.

Best bet, go check out some and see what you like. Google Nexus and the Galaxy Note are two to consider. Oh and the Kindle Fire.

Anything running on Windows I'd avoid if it were me.

Thanks Snifter, but have you got shares in apple?:wink:

checking some out will be absolutely no good to me, as the occasional browse in the stores really just adds more confusion with all the stuff on them which I do not need or even understandthe need for most of them in the first place.

What I need is

1) an on/off button

2) access to the net from anywhere in the world (wifi???)

3) to get my hotmail account

And thats it in a nutshell, quite simple really but it never ends up that way!

Samsung do a very nice range - from the Galaxy Tab to the Note, all running Android - we recently purchased 3 x Galaxy Tab 2s and probably paid about the same as 1 iPad.

Anything Apple is over priced and over rated in my very humble opinion but they are well designed and you do get that backup support - which may be worth the extra cost if you are a little unsure. There is an Apple Store in Adelaide now :)

If you want net access anywhere you will need to look at one with 3G capability - not just Wi-Fi, unless you are happy to just find free wi-fi places - like McDonalds or other cafes that do it.

Edited by zebedee

Oh go on, get yourself a smartphone too while you're at it! You'll quickly wonder how you ever lived without one!! Today on my (beautiful-wonderful-love-it-to-bits) iphone I read a book on my Kindle App, kept up with the cricket score on my ESPN Cricinfo app, took a photo of a map from my computer screen as the printer was out of paper to get me to my son's soccer match successfully, and used Google maps to get me near there, played games during the annoying adverts between overs in the cricket, put my shopping list onto the notepad app, used the phone as an alarm to wake me up after an afternoon nap (!!) ... oh and made a few calls/sent a few text messages as well! I'd be (literally) lost without it!

Thanks Diane, but you see I do want to live without one and quite easily can, we don't want our lives to be run by a phone, if I want to read a book I read a book you can safely let it drop on the floor if you doze off. I have got tv, radio and newspapers for the cricket scores, we have refadex (A-Z) in the car gets us everywhere I need to be with out losing battery or signal, someone bought me a sat nav, once it got me part way there then started sending me back to somewhere else, now takes up cupboard space, same person also bought me an all in one remote control for tv video etc, in trying to get it to work the damn thing kept telling me to do something, it would turn stuff off and then ask me if that fixed the problem:arghh:, I need to buy more cupboards! We have pen and any old bit of paper for shopping lists (so running out of printer paper is not a problem), we find the paper list a lot easier to hold when getting stuff off the shelves. We do have an alarm clock on our mobile phones we use occasionally as well as an alarm clock radio. I have a company blackberry, and my wife Linda has a mobile phone (maybe 8yrs old) on a pay as you go $20 365day plan and we lose out on that not being able to carry credit over. we have a home phone and internet on a plan which we never exceed but come close sometimes with the UK calls. When in the UK we just buy a 10 quid credit on a Tesco sim and that usually does us for our trip, not found any great need for a phone whilst in other countries either. Last trip to UK we bought a new laptop here and got hte GST back at the airport and found the whole thing a hassle in carrying it around and keeping it safe, hence the reason to maybe but an Ipad or similar to see if it would be a little more convienient!

Do not need facebook either (or twitter and the like) hate it with a little passion, we ask for photos of our grandchildren in the UK and their Mum tells us there are some on facebook! NOOO! WE want photos not he whole damn world.

And as you say Diane " you would be lost without it" then what would you do if you did lose it? especially when you are not near home! You see to us all this IT stuff, though useful in parts, is a back-up and not the neccessity.

:eek:Gone on a bit ain't I !

Samsung do a very nice range - from the Galaxy Tab to the Note, all running Android - we recently purchased 3 x Galaxy Tab 2s and probably paid about the same as 1 iPad.

Anything Apple is over priced and over rated in my very humble opinion but they are well designed and you do get that backup support - which may be worth the extra cost if you are a little unsure. There is an Apple Store in Adelaide now :)

If you want net access anywhere you will need to look at one with 3G capability - not just Wi-Fi, unless you are happy to just find free wi-fi places - like McDonalds or other cafes that do it.

Thanks Zebedee, the price thing is a lot more to my liking, could you expand a little on the 3g wifi bit for using worldwide please.

Cheers Keith