New family moving from Aberdeen in the near future ( hopefully)

Guest myrtle1973

Guest myrtle1973

Hiya, we are a family of 5 moving from Aberdeen, Scotland to the Marion area of Adelaide soon( hopefully) and would appreciate any information of where to live and not to live, good schools and ones to avoid etc etc. There is myself and hubby, 3 kids aged 17, 10 and 7.we applied through hubbys company for a 457 visa and not heard anything yet :(

Guest Russ c

Hi we moved out in July & moved into the a short term rental in Henley beach which is lovely we only 15 min from Marion. Nice big shopping mall at Marion. If I were you I would do a short term rental near by when first arrive then you can check out area yourself to get long term. We secured a long term rental in first 2 weeks of being here and move in sept

Hi we moved out in July & moved into the a short term rental in Henley beach which is lovely we only 15 min from Marion. Nice big shopping mall at Marion. If I were you I would do a short term rental near by when first arrive then you can check out area yourself to get long term. We secured a long term rental in first 2 weeks of being here and move in sept

Agree completely with this. I assume you mention Marion because that is where one of you will be working. You don't have to live in the Marion area though, and from Marion there are loads of places that are a short commute that you might like to live in. Which place is best for you will depend on whether you want to be near the beach, city or hills, or whether you want somewhere quiet or somewhere with lots going off. Lots of people on here live in the Hallet Cove to Sellicks Beach areas, most of which would be easily commutable to Marion and may be your kind of thing. Or you may prefer somewhere like Glenelg or Brighton. Or Henley Beach, West Beach or Grange. Or you might not want to live near the beach at all and might want to live somewhere near the city like Unley. For commuting to Marion I'd stick with suburbs south or west of the city, although you could probably do it from any of the suburbs really close to the city if you wanted to.

Have a bit of a read of some of the other posts on the forum about areas to live to get an idea of what people on here think, and have a look at google maps and realestate.com to see what areas are around Marion and what housing is like in those areas. And check out myschool.edu.au for info on the schools in the areas you are thinking of. Then if you find an area or areas that you think look okay but want people's opinion come back and ask about that particular area.

Guest myrtle1973
Agree completely with this. I assume you mention Marion because that is where one of you will be working. You don't have to live in the Marion area though, and from Marion there are loads of places that are a short commute that you might like to live in. Which place is best for you will depend on whether you want to be near the beach, city or hills, or whether you want somewhere quiet or somewhere with lots going off. Lots of people on here live in the Hallet Cove to Sellicks Beach areas, most of which would be easily commutable to Marion and may be your kind of thing. Or you may prefer somewhere like Glenelg or Brighton. Or Henley Beach, West Beach or Grange. Or you might not want to live near the beach at all and might want to live somewhere near the city like Unley. For commuting to Marion I'd stick with suburbs south or west of the city, although you could probably do it from any of the suburbs really close to the city if you wanted to.

Have a bit of a read of some of the other posts on the forum about areas to live to get an idea of what people on here think, and have a look at google maps and realestate.com to see what areas are around Marion and what housing is like in those areas. And check out myschool.edu.au for info on the schools in the areas you are thinking of. Then if you find an area or areas that you think look okay but want people's opinion come back and ask about that particular area.

thank you for your advice. I will check out the website's today

Guest myrtle1973

Thanks for that. We will probably need to find a furnished place 1st as our shipment may take 3 months apparently? we we're not sure weather to find a holiday let initially and start looking for rental properties as soon as we arrive? Its harder than i thought it would be property hunting and checking out schools when we have never been to Australia before!

Just an aside, I see WA have started - or are going to start - charging about $4,000 a year per child for state education for holders of the 457 visa. For various reasons it's a visa that's got a lot of bad press recently and the State governments are looking to appease locals who feel that people on 457s are taking jobs that locals could do (rightly or wrongly) and as always, get more money in their coffers. There hasn't as yet been any mention of the SA government doing the same, but i thought I'd mention it as if they do bring it in, that would end up costing you quite a bit! If you can possibly get your husband's company to either sponsor him for PR or put in writing an agreement to upgrade him to PR as soon as possible after your arrival, that might be something to consider.

Guest Skippy2705

Hi, I'm all new to this... we are also a family of 5 moving from ayrshire, Scotland to Adelaide roughly the 3rd week in sep... We are getting put up in a serviced apartment through my husbands work. Not to sure where yet .... Do u know when u will b leaving ... .... Good luck . :rolleyes:

Edited by Skippy2705

Hi Myrtle,

Whereabouts in the deen are you from? Toonsers or Teuchters? :cool: I lived in the country near Inverurie for 10 years so guess that makes me a bona fide Teuchter!

Still break out into the Doric from time to time which drive my Mrs (from Edinburgh) mad :biggrin:

Anyway all the best with the big move, if you want a friendly face to sprekken zie Doric with on arrival just give us a shout, were in the Western Suburbs

G'day Fellow Aberdonians, where about are yea fae LOL? I 'm from Kincorth,

Myself and Family Moved over here in April 2012 on a 457 Visa and now stay in Mawson Lakes it has everything you need,

Trainstation,schools, new shopping centre and lots of poms too lol we only moved to Mawson Lake 2 weeks ago but wish we moved here first.

I will say like others the 457 visa is not the greatest visa but its very quick to get issued so its good for Employers, you don't get any help from the Goverment apart from Medicare (NHS) but if you can see past that its all good.

If you want anyhelp or have any questions send a email and we can give some contacts details for us and a number to call for cheap calls to Australia ie: 1p a minute(it helped us alot when arranging to come over)

Regards

Gary

Thanks for that. We will probably need to find a furnished place 1st as our shipment may take 3 months apparently? we we're not sure weather to find a holiday let initially and start looking for rental properties as soon as we arrive? Its harder than i thought it would be property hunting and checking out schools when we have never been to Australia before!

Most people usually get a short term furnished rental for a few weeks, sometimes 4-6 and look for a longer term unfurnished during that time.

Generally you can beg, borrow or buy cheap stuff to see you through till when your container arrives. Or don't ship some things and buy them new once you arrive (if its cost effective to do so).

I'd be happy on blow up mattresses in an unfurnished till our stuff arrives. Same as buying the cheap basics for the kitchen or whatever. You can make it a bit of fun and don't have to spend a fortune.

Consider also shipping your stuff sooner the UK end and borrowing from family and friends till you leave. So air beds, kitchen stuff and so on all the UK side. Can often be easy to do. We are going to be sitting on camping chairs and sleeping on air beds in the run up to our move to Adelaide. Less time waiting for it the other end and borrowing some bits and will also take some stuff to the dump or recycle when we leave.

Myself and Family Moved over here in April 2012 on a 457 Visa and now stay in Mawson Lakes it has everything you need,

Trainstation,schools, new shopping centre and lots of poms too lol we only moved to Mawson Lake 2 weeks ago but wish we moved here first.

I will say like others the 457 visa is not the greatest visa but its very quick to get issued so its good for Employers, you don't get any help from the Goverment apart from Medicare (NHS) but if you can see past that its all good.

If you want anyhelp or have any questions send a email and we can give some contacts details for us and a number to call for cheap calls to Australia ie: 1p a minute(it helped us alot when arranging to come over)

Regards

Gary

Mawson Lakes is really nice, although some of the surrounding areas aren't so great. It would be a bit of a trek from there to Marion though.

Guest milne family

Hope you hear some good news soon, we are from aberdeen and fly out on monday. we were out last year for a look around and liked

what we saw so decided to make the jump. Get in touch if we can be of any help or advice.

keith

Regards

Gary

well Im fae a muckle place called Chapel o Garioch min!. Far a the good lookin loons bide ken!? :biggrin:

Ok Ill speak anglais now... Myself and Mrs Kash have been here for almost 2 years now, enjoying Adelaide but also missing Scotland/UK at the same time. If there is an Aberdeen/North East meetup count us in. I qualify with my 12 years residency in the North East and ability to converse in Doric when required lol

Hey Hey foos yer doos lol,

Been up Chapel o Garioch a few times before moving out here, still think the loons fae the city de it the best lol.

so how are you guys finding it over here? still enjoying it?

Give us a shout sometime and get the familys to meet.[

Regards

Gary

QUOTE=Johnny Kash;271966]well Im fae a muckle place called Chapel o Garioch min!. Far a the good lookin loons bide ken!? :biggrin:

Ok Ill speak anglais now... Myself and Mrs Kash have been here for almost 2 years now, enjoying Adelaide but also missing Scotland/UK at the same time. If there is an Aberdeen/North East meetup count us in. I qualify with my 12 years residency in the North East and ability to converse in Doric when required lol

• 3 months later...
Hope you hear some good news soon, we are from aberdeen and fly out on monday. we were out last year for a look around and liked

what we saw so decided to make the jump. Get in touch if we can be of any help or advice.

keith

Hi Keith - I am originally from Stonehaven/Newtonhill.... :) Where did you end up living - we are trying to find a nice suburb in the south east but still close enough to the school of our choice (city west)... any info would be great (we move across 2014. Thanks

I just had to reply because it was so nice to see the familiar Chapel o Garioch name! I am from Aberdeenshire and worked for Highland Fuels in Huntly for some time so familiar with the farms in that area :) We move to Adelaide mid 2014 - any info on suburbs/schools would be great - thanks!!

Hiya, we are a family of 5 moving from Aberdeen, Scotland to the Marion area of Adelaide soon( hopefully) and would appreciate any information of where to live and not to live, good schools and ones to avoid etc etc. There is myself and hubby, 3 kids aged 17, 10 and 7.we applied through hubbys company for a 457 visa and not heard anything yet :(

Hi :)

We are also hoping to move to a similar area in mid 2014. We have ruled our school choices down to 2 - 1 in South Plympton and 1 in Mile End. We also have 3 children, 20, 18 and 14. Moving across with hubbys job. I am originally from Stonehaven/Newtonhill and hubby from Nairn. Kids not happy about moving :( If you find out anything about schools and areas please share :) Thanks heaps.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
Hi :)

We are also hoping to move to a similar area in mid 2014. We have ruled our school choices down to 2 - 1 in South Plympton and 1 in Mile End. We also have 3 children, 20, 18 and 14. Moving across with hubbys job. I am originally from Stonehaven/Newtonhill and hubby from Nairn. Kids not happy about moving :( If you find out anything about schools and areas please share :) Thanks heaps.

Oo it's a small world! We moved here from Newtonhill almost 2 years ago!

Oo it's a small world! We moved here from Newtonhill almost 2 years ago!

Wow!!! I went to Newtonhill Primary School 1975-1980 then Mackie Academy :) lived in Greystone Place then Berryhill Place ... - how does it compare to Adelaide!! LOL

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
Wow!!! I went to Newtonhill Primary School 1975-1980 then Mackie Academy :) lived in Greystone Place then Berryhill Place ... - how does it compare to Adelaide!! LOL

It's a lot colder than Adelaide!! I have to say I wouldn't here for there if you paid me now. We moved there in 2005, although spent time there previously too as my sister and her family have lived up there since the mid 80s.