Guest deardos

Tax returns

Guest deardos

Hi all,

just a quick one, I don't know if any of you can answer this one, or had a previous experience.

i saw an accountant for my tax and I owe the tax man hundreds !

i got told off him that because I haven't been resident for 6 months in the last tax year I have to pay the emergency tax rate. That being $$6500 on $ 24000 earnt.. I am on a permenant state sponsored 176 visa and a landed in February 2013.

Can this be right as he classed me as a non resident for tax purposes and says I have to be in the country 6 months in the tax year before I am classes as resident for tax purposes.

Has any one had a similar experience or different.

Desnt seem fair because if I had been in the country 6 months and 1 day from thee 30 th of June I would have got $4000 back.

Guest BurgessFamily

you're a perm resident, if you only moved over halfway through the year, all it means is that you'll pay less tax (as you will have earned less). Sounds like someone has their wires crossed.

On a positive note, it also means you can claim your uk tax back. :)

He has that wrong. It all depends on if you plan to stay in the next tax year. If you do then you are a resident for tax purposes straight off.

I arrived in February of a year, on a student visa, so not even pr like you, and got all my tax back as I hadn't worked much.

I would pop into the tax office if you are close. My husband made a mess up of his tax return one year and they were very helpful and put it all right for him.

Guest Adelaide_bound

Ditto what the others said - we arrived Feb 2012, worked for about 1 week during that time and got a refund for the tax we paid on that one week, then this year we only worked a few months as well, so got all of that tax back as well - doesn't matter when in the tax year you land, if you are a PR (we are on the same visa as you) then you are classed as resident for tax purposes (as long as you are planning on staying for the next tax year) from day 1 of being here. That's what the ATO told us anyway, whom I hold in higher esteem than so called 'tax accountants' (to clarify - some are very good, but some are absolutely shocking and a trained monkey would do better).

So you'll get money back not have to pay it. Do the return yourself using E-Tax - its the simplest thing, if you do need any help you just call up the ATO and they help you there and then on the phone and you get the money into your bank account in about 10 days (ish). No hassles.

Guest deardos

Thanks all, I thought something was a miss ! I am gonna talk to the tax office on Monday and get it sorted and clarify I am a resident ! It says I am on the link , thanks Andrew !

If you do tax, next time round I am definitely going to go with you!

I am going to ask for my money back tax account my foot ! Be warned with these accountants they don't know what they are on about !