Diane

14 degrees

14 degrees maximum forecast for today ffs! Am seriously considering moving somewhere warmer!!

Come on Spring, hurry up and get here... please....

Guest BurgessFamily

We'll be getting 3 weeks of 40+ degrees in the summer (when the utilities bump up their seasonal prices). Will you be complaining then too? xD

14 degrees maximum forecast for today ffs! Am seriously considering moving somewhere warmer!!

Come on Spring, hurry up and get here... please....

I'm there too, at this time of year you start to think about moving to Brisbane.

We'll be getting 3 weeks of 40+ degrees in the summer (when the utilities bump up their seasonal prices). Will you be complaining then too? xD

I never complain about it being too hot - can't be hot enough for me! And it's been a few years since we've had three weeks of decent hotness as well!!

I'm there too, at this time of year you start to think about moving to Brisbane.

Brisbane is having it's hottest start to August on record 25deg days, and I will be there this weekend:tongue: and likely moving back permanmently in 2-3 weeks time:smile:

Guest BurgessFamily
    it's been a few years since we've had three weeks of decent hotness as well!!

must be all that global warming... a big fat tax should fix that.

I honestly could not live North of Sydney, the humidity is a nightmare. For me Brisbane doesn't offer anything to make it a more livable city than Adelaide.

But yes it is a bit too cold, but then I see the weekend will be sunny and 19.

It's a stunning day. I'm sat out in my garden having a cup of tea in the sunshine. I only wish I didn't have to go back to work so I could do some gardening

It did turn out to be lovely - could have done more washing than the one load; although now it's got dark it's definitely time to put the heating on.

14 cold are you having a laugh

It is when your house has pretty much no insulation, your windows are only single glazing, nothing is sealed properly so there are drafts coming in all over the place and your only source of heat is a gas fire in the living room. Or if you are lucky you get ducted heating that blows warm air at you but doesn't really warm anything up much so when you turn it off it gets cold again really quickly. And leaving it on all the time isn't much of an option either if it runs on electricity as it costs a fortune to run. And remember 14 was the maximum temperature forecast.

Not all houses are like the description above but a lot are, especially rental houses. When it's cold here it can feel really cold. 14 may not sound cold, and may not even be cold in the UK, but it can feel pretty cold here. Especially when you have been here a while and acclimatised to the heat.

It is when your house has pretty much no insulation, your windows are only single glazing, nothing is sealed properly so there are drafts coming in all over the place and your only source of heat is a gas fire in the living room. Or if you are lucky you get ducted heating that blows warm air at you but doesn't really warm anything up much so when you turn it off it gets cold again really quickly. And leaving it on all the time isn't much of an option either if it runs on electricity as it costs a fortune to run. And remember 14 was the maximum temperature forecast.

Not all houses are like the description above but a lot are, especially rental houses. When it's cold here it can feel really cold. 14 may not sound cold, and may not even be cold in the UK, but it can feel pretty cold here. Especially when you have been here a while and acclimatised to the heat.

Exactly.There is a greater need to bring plenty of good Winter clothes here when migrating than bringing Summer clothing.A lot of the houses are bitterly Cold in Winter with no Heating,and i often liken it to living in a house in the UK around November with no Heating on!Simple things like layering up with Clothing,Hot Water bottles etc will help,also try and secure a Rental with some form of Heating.We never put this as a priority when we rented,and rued that decision big time!Landlords and Agents don't care about your comfort at all as a rule,they just want your Money.Rug up,warm up and be Happy Folks!:smile:

Guest Guest75

Lovely temps at the moment,I love this time of year. Virtually all of the above is true.

Winter can really drag here. When we returned from a visit to the UK in their summer we felt quite depressed by the dark,damp and windy weather.

The worst really is only for a few months ,then the pleasant stuff comes ,then we are all whingeing about the heat!:swoon:

What I do like is the lack of humidity and the sense of change due to having the four seasons here.

Last year we moved from a solid brick (double skin) house in the hills to a timber frame /single brick skin house on the coast. LOTS of big windows.

Yep, we feel it too now!! We have had a really good gas fire installed - got rid of one of the huge windows by building across with the fireplace.

I wish we could afford double glazing now but that will be a dream I reckon.

The longer you live here ,the more prone you are to the seasonal variations I find.

Thats useful to know Tyke, I would never have considered heating and insulation would not be up to a recognised standard, we have the Building Regs in the UK to ensure homes aren't too cold. I'll make sure its something I look for now when renting - thanks

Tony

14 cold are you having a laugh

Yes - draughty, poorly fitted single glazing and inefficient heating are common. I've needed an electric blanket and hot water bottle this winter (never need them in the UK with central heating, great insulation and double glazing) I blame it on my age - At least all the quilts I've been making have come in very handy for snuggling up on the 'lounge' to watch TV