Return from reccie only to find someone has made an offer our house

SwanseaJack

Hi

Me again been writing posts over the last two weeks stating how great it is in Adelaide. Landed in Heathrow this morning to be met with a call from our estate agent stating that someone who saw it whilst we were away has made a very good offer on the house..

My husband is over the moon and is debating whether to unpack or not. I am really happy but I am the type of person who needs time to digest things. During the reccie we met some fantastic PIA members and othersand I fell in love with the place. I wanted to come home and weigh up everything we have learnt. Now I just feel my head s spinning. I know this exactly what I have been waiting for and should be chuffed which I am it's just the realisation that I could be there by Christmas . The decision has now become real and urgent.

Just wanted to know if anybody else has felt like this great one minute then oh &£?!.

Parents just been to see us and think we have upset them be chatting about all that we ave seen and done and then of course the house.

Am I normal please share experiences. I know this is the best news we our have home home to .

Kathy:arghh::smile::wacko::chatterbox::biggrin:

I think the feelings are normal. Just about everyone migrating ever veers between being thrilled to worry and panic and wondering what on earth they are doing.

Consider it may be months or years even to get a buyer for your house with a decent offer on the table.

If you've spent the money on gaining a visa, the money on a reccie and loved it, have an offer on your house (and had it on the market already anyways) I'd have to say I think you'd be a bit bonkers to pass it up at this point in time.

Migrating is a big step, starts with lots of little ones but that final big leap is a tough one but you just need to take a deep breath and go with it if you know it's what you want to do.

We were in a similar situation, we went on the reccie because we had struggled to sell, then when we got back we got an offer!

It is scary - we are in the same spot as you, but notice has been given to our jobs and the sale has nearly gone through now - we move out on January 8th. In life you have to take risks, it's what makes it exciting! Good luck and congratulations!

Go for it! We were planning on the move for years so when our visas came in we felt similar to what you're describing. Even pressing the confirm booking button when booking the flights was so strange, we really questioned ourselves over and over. We've been in Adelaide now since June and we're really glad we made the move. It's been stressful at times, but we've definitely made the right choice. Good luck :-)

Guest Guest75

Congratulations,similar happened to us when we were in the UK on holiday last year. Accepted an offer on our house here.

Felt very stange!

Any emotion is normal at this stage!!!

Go for it and keep busy!!!

That feeling of panic is completely normal! Considering moving to the other side of the world is a HUGE decision and I understand that "Oh s**t moment when you have to make a final decision. As Snifter said, it could be months or years before you receive another offer on your house. Do you have to move over here as soon as you've sold? Could you not move in with family for a couple of months if you need a little breathing space first? Personally, if the gods have lined everything up in your favour, I think you'd be a bit bonkers if you didn't go for it. It's nice here, come back!

It's very good news, but only if you really do want to move to Adelaide.

Only you can make that decision. Take your time, get over the jetlag, consider everything as calmly and rationally as you can. Do your sums, don't get caught up in events, and make sure you keep in control of the whole process. Sometimes I wish we hadn't sold our house in the UK, it seemed like a good thing at the time and we just went along with the momentum of events, but now we both wish we had stopped and reflected a bit more on what we were doing (obviously at the time we didn't have the benefit of hindsight!). Sometimes you set a train of events in motion and then feel you can't stop it. Don't feel that it is fate or anything giving you a message that you have to emigrate.

If after careful, thorough and honest consideration it is what you want to do then go for it!! Good Luck.

Edited by Anne B

Kathy, stop thinking and get on with the doing. You'll regret it later if you don't. This is a time for putting yourself first, and your family second. They can always come down-under for a visit some time in the future. Your future is here and now, start packing.

Angus/Kate, moving out on the 8th January. That's a very important day. Elvis's birthday, Shirely Bassie's birthday, my birthday and now your "new life" birthday. I'm happy to offer my free services and meet you at the airport if needed.(see my previous posts) Not saying that I bring luck but the last family I helped now live in a beaut home on the Christies Beach Esplanade, kids in a good school, both have jobs, they've been to more places than I even know, have seen Whales, Dolphins, Roo's, Koalas, and Kookaburras. What more could you possibly want within your first 4 months of living in Australia. It's all here for the finding folks.

Good luck with your moves.

Doug, Jack and Benjie, The Three Cavaliers. (oh, best not forget Jennie, moh.)

Hi all

thanks for sharing your experiences. Had a little sleep if you can call it that dreaming about Australia. At the moment going set wheels in motion but wait until house as gone through until booking flights and handing in notices. Lots to think about and to discuss.

Kathy

Will keep sharing thoughts thank you

We were in same situation as yourselves , but as said before there are people on here waiting a very long time to sell there houses in the UK , so what we did was went home after our reccie , packed up & was back over in Adelaide in 6 weeks . Bit of hectic & mixed emotions but , your a long time dead , so we went for it & it worked out to be the correct decision .:smile:

Kathy, stop thinking and get on with the doing. You'll regret it later if you don't. This is a time for putting yourself first, and your family second. They can always come down-under for a visit some time in the future. Your future is here and now, start packing.

Angus/Kate, moving out on the 8th January. That's a very important day. Elvis's birthday, Shirely Bassie's birthday, my birthday and now your "new life" birthday. I'm happy to offer my free services and meet you at the airport if needed.(see my previous posts) Not saying that I bring luck but the last family I helped now live in a beaut home on the Christies Beach Esplanade, kids in a good school, both have jobs, they've been to more places than I even know, have seen Whales, Dolphins, Roo's, Koalas, and Kookaburras. What more could you possibly want within your first 4 months of living in Australia. It's all here for the finding folks.

Good luck with your moves.

Doug, Jack and Benjie, The Three Cavaliers. (oh, best not forget Jennie, moh.)

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the offer - it's really kind of you! We have two little ones though, so will probably need to rent a car along with two child seats. Would be great to meet up for coffee or beer at some point though?

Gus

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the offer - it's really kind of you! We have two little ones though, so will probably need to rent a car along with two child seats. Would be great to meet up for coffee or beer at some point though?

Gus

Some of the reasons I offer my service to new arrivals is because:

a) You're going to be buggered when you touch down in Adelaide. :SLEEP:

b) You get a free photo of your first 30 seconds in Australia. :cool:

c) You won't feel like looking for the rental car depot. :unsure:

d) You'll have more luggage than the average car can handle (double normal allowance) :cool:

e) You don't want to get lost after your aircraft found it's way here. :confused:

f) You don't want to meet one of our ARMED police on your first night in town :policeman:

g) My service is free, well your wife can give me a kiss me on the cheek :swoon:

Your carriage (with trailer and car seats for the kids) and chauffeur

026 My latest toy.jpg

Oh BTW, my wife Jenny is Welsh (Newport)

So all in all, your choice.

My offer is open to all new arrivals and I'll deliver you anywhere within a 50k radius of the airport. I'll take you further at a price if you really want to travel to the outback at that time.

Roy, I don't think it's creepy - what's wrong with going out of your way to help people? I think it's more creepy that people read sinister motives into a genuine act of altruism.

Doug - I may well take you up on the offer, I just need to check the car rental situation and how easy it will be to get one from the suburbs. :notworthy:

Some people may find that friendly offer a bit creepy

Hi Roy, you're not the first to think there might be a hidden agenda in my offer and you probably won't be the last. I've nothing to hide, just like to offer a helping hand. When I arrived, some 35 years ago, I was fortunate to have a sister and parents already here. My only experience of arriving somewhere totally foreign to me was my posting to Singapore many years ago. Even in the RAF, that was scarey enough.

For what it's worth, my wife and I live by Christian ethics (not saying we're Jesus freaks, me particularly but that's another story) We've been foster parents here as all our children are still in the UK (long story), we've also had a Prison Ministry in the past. We just like to help others. What's the saying, "What goes around, comes around". Maybe, one day, we'll be calling in a few favours but untill then, we will help other when we can. We're down to earth pensioners and still struggling to pay off our mortgage that came late in life.

So, as they say in the Southern states,"Have a nice day y'all"

I think coming from quite a "What about me"centred society in the uk ,i have found the generosity of some of the people i have met here amazing.People here like to help others without an agenda.,i know in the uk i have found that in my own personal experience lacking.

We have aussie friends here who have lent us their daughter's car whilst she is abroad for well over a yr,as we cant afford to buy one on one wage ,it has been a lifesaver for us.In the Uk i would be lucky if a friend would give us a lift from the airport.The levels of volunteering here are astounding and i for one am happy that people like Doug are willing to be so generous and kind to people at a time when it would be most appreciated.Well done Doug.

Best wishes Sue