SwanseaJack

running a car in SA

hi

Can anyone help done a little reasearch on the SA gov web site but find it a little confusing, wanted to know what you need to have on a car to make it road legal and anything else it requires.

Insurance - OK

REGO not sure what this is. Is it like annual car tax or a one off payment??

RAA breakdown cover - OK

Servicing and no MOT - OK

Tyres etc - OK

Anything else????

REGO is the most confusing to me.

Thanks Kathy

Guest RoyR

Rego is a documentation exercise Kathy, I suppose it's very similar to UK road tax

Rego is a documentation exercise Kathy, I suppose it's very similar to UK road tax

Hi Roy

that was a quick reply. So its something you pay annually on a car. Do you have any idea how much that would be on a small car.

Kathy

Guest RoyR

Actually, when you buy a car there's a larger fee to pay. I've only been here since June and we ended up with a lease car from my wife's employer... so I'm not sure of the initial rego fee, hopefully someone else will chime in with better advice

Don't think car size matters, it's $128 for the year :-)

Hi Roy

Thankis for that. That makes more sense, pay to register the car initially and then pay the $128 p.a. whilst you have it.

Many thanks

Kathy

Guest RoyR

Sorry for the multiple replies, when we looked at buying a car the dealerships were allowing us to add the rego fee into the finance. Memory is a bit hazy but I think it was something like $1000 for a $20,000 car. Again, hopefully someone else will chime in with better advice :-)

Sorry for the multiple replies, when we looked at buying a car the dealerships were allowing us to add the rego fee into the finance. Memory is a bit hazy but I think it was something like $1000 for a $20,000 car. Again, hopefully someone else will chime in with better advice :-)

Hi

thanks Roy really helpfull

Kathy

I don't know where Roy got $128 a year from, I would be well happy if that was all you had to pay!!!

Just got the renewal letter yesterday for a Commodore (ok not a small car) but 12 months rego is $730, 3 months $195. I think you pay more for V6 or V8 engines. I'm pretty sure that even when we had a Focus the rego was over $600 a year. If you've got 2 cars then it is very expensive!

Edited by Anne B

Guest Guest12727

It is an annual fee to allow you to drive a vehicle on the road. You can pay for 3 mths or 1 year in advance and they say they soon we will be able to pay monthly.

Registration includes road tax and 3rd party personal insurance - so if you injure some-one with your car you are covered for their medical expenses etc, regardless of whether you have taken out other car insurance for damage.

I think my small car is about $600 a year for registration.

This link on RAA website gives good breakdown of running costs (based on a new car) http://www.raa.com.au/page.aspx?TerID=651

Edited by Guest12727

I don't know where Roy got $128 a year from, I would be well happy if that was all you had to pay!!!

Just got the renewal letter yesterday for a Commodore (ok not a small car) but 12 months rego is $730, 3 months $195. I think you pay more for V6 or V8 engines. I'm pretty sure that even when we had a Focus the rego was over $600 a year. If you've got 2 cars then it is very expensive!

hi Anne

many thanks

Kathy

Guest BurgessFamily

small 4 cylinder engine is about $100 cheaper over the year.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

When you buy a car you have to pay stamp duty on the value of it. R

Rego can be paid 3 monthly or annually but it is way more than $128! Mine is $600+ for the year, it is the CTP insurance that bumps it up more than anything.

Guest RoyR

Our rego was taken care of as part of the novated lease, again apologies for the bum steer

It is hard to find any meaningful information from the government website!!

However, it does seem to be based on the number of cylinders not engine size, or emissions, which is all a bit antiquated. New European cars tend to have smaller engines, the BMW 328i for example has only 4 cylinders with a 2 litre engine. On that basis you would pay the same rego on that as for a small car like a Ford Fiesta. Also there doesn't seem to be any discount for 'green' engines.

Our 4x4 is $195 every three months, when you buy a car you have to pay the stamp duty on the price of the car plus a certain amount to change registration documents into your own name, insurance costs on top, we currently paying $500 fully comp for the year on a land rover...

Guest Guest12727
    It is hard to find any meaningful information from the government website!!

However, it does seem to be based on the number of cylinders not engine size, or emissions, which is all a bit antiquated. New European cars tend to have smaller engines, the BMW 328i for example has only 4 cylinders with a 2 litre engine. On that basis you would pay the same rego on that as for a small car like a Ford Fiesta. Also there doesn't seem to be any discount for 'green' engines.

Wouldn't it be nice to get some compensation for driving Green.:smile:

But as someone else has already mentioned, most of the cost is to pay for 3rd party insurance, and I guess it doesn't matter how green your car is, you will still cause the same injury if you hit some-one. The other bit is meant to go to road maintenance, so the costs are based more on the weight of a car and the subsequent amount of wear and tear it causes on the road.

I have a v6 car and I pay $213 per quarter.

The thing other people are talking about when you buy the car is stamp duty, just like on a house! There are different car cost brackets, but I can't remember what I paid now.

My car is an import with lots of mods, so my insurance is $86 per month fully comp.

My last cheap, small car cost $14 a month for third party, fire and theft.