Guest Guest12727

What has changed in Adelaide in the last 10-15 years

Guest Guest12727

Here are some things that we can think of that have changed, please add anything else you can think of

East End markets have been redeveloped into apartments, a cinema, cafes and shops, while maintaining the beautiful facade

The old cinema on Hindmarsh square has gone and is now a Crowne Plaza Hotel

The National Wine Centre was built

Victoria square is being redeveloped

The tram line has been extended, twice.

A new Central Bus station

A new Airport, which has recently had a new multi story carpark built (and is there a hotel there now or is that still coming?)

Adelaide Oval is being redeveloped

A footbridge is being built over the Torrens, linking the train station with the Oval

A new 'state of the art' Royal Adelaide Hospital is being built

The SA Health and Medical Research Institute has recently been built, next to the new RAH

The reversible Southern expressway was built - and is currently being upgraded for two directions.

Train lines North and South are being upgraded

The Northern expressway has been built

David Jones moved into the old John Martin's site with a new store

Rundle Plaza has just opened, with a new Harris Scarf and even an Apple store - yeah!

Rundle Mall is currently being given a facelift

The New world class Marion Swimming Centre

Clipsal site redevelopment

Burnside Village has been massively expanded

The swamps at The Levels is now Mawson Lakes

There is an apple store? I don't go into town lol.

I was here for a few months in 1999 and things I noticed had changed when I came back.

Magic mountain was gone! A new shopping centre was finished near there.

The airport had moved.

I came across people with English accents! Other than in hostels I didn't run into any back then.

Prices had risen hugely.

Everywhere just seems busier.

There are black people here now (I mean African black and it's just an observation, not a bad thing).

Cars seem less beaten up than they did then.

Blossom, I think the OP was talking about infrastructure changes.

I would also add to the list, Victoria racecourse, but TBH I am not sure what they are doing there!!!

With Adelaide being small, almost every change is of interest and noticeable to all.

A change is a change structurally or otherwise its all about how the place is evolving. Form a dirt road to an asphalt road to why and who built them, some or all of this is interesting to some or all readers.

It's also good to see that there are things that do not change too, like the tree lined streets and all the parklands around the city.

Guest Guest75

More Poms.

Many more houses,certainly filled up in Seaford and Aldinga since we arrived in 2000.

Lot less people moving out now - but many not giving it a chance.

Many more talking up the "Economic Decline" but yet the press still say SA is "About to happen"

Guest Claire-n-tel
    You made an instant improvement to the place too:jiggy:

Awwwww!

Guest Guest75
    Awwwww!

Stop it you two,I'm having to clean the slavver off the monitor screen!:eek::biglaugh:

Stop it you two,I'm having to clean the slavver off the monitor screen!:eek::biglaugh:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm can a slavvering pom be classed as an improvement?:wink: but being a Yorkshireman certainly is:notworthy:

The South Road flyover (over GJR) is coming on! Probably been doing that for the last ten years, but I'm sure it'll be finished soon!

Guest Rosy

I think there is an open day for the "South Road Super Way" Diane mentioned, this Sunday. Apparently, people will have a chance to walk on this large piece of infrastructure only this one time. I think that would be interesting.

I hope my link works, I haven't attempted one for a long time and I am a computer dunce.

http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/south_road_upgrade/northsouthcorridor/south_road_superway

Speaking of other things that have changed in Adelaide, I love the mobile food vendors in the city. They add interest to the streetscape and I think it's a great way for people to get into the food business on a smaller budget. Long may it continue.

They've added some stepped waterways on the Torrens so the baby native fish have a better chance of breeding - that's in the last few months. Does that count? Oh, and the bus stopped that I get on the way home moved the other day....which kinda freaked me out.

Guest Guest12727

Zoo has changed immensely. Latest being the panda enclosure and new entrance including big changes to botanic park outside the zoo entrance.

The Festival and fringe are now annual events rather than biannual