Bal67

489 Visa

Hi Guys,

Wonder whether any can help I am new to this forum, as we were hoping to move to Perth on either the 190 or 489 visa so after my hubby sat the IELTS a few time in order to get 8's we decided on a trip to Perth to see what the regional areas were like for work, school etc and found everything we needed and more in Mandurah so we told our Agent to start the 489, she came back to us last week to say my hubby's job title (Construction Site Manager here) had been taken off the Skills list but was still available in South Australia but may also come back on the WA Skills list from 1 October we prefer to live in Perth as we have friends there and we have been there and like it there, but just in case it does not come back on the list, we have decided to do some research in South Australia but have no idea what areas to research so any help would be much appreciated, like I said before hubby is in Construction, I am a PA, we are both in 40's and we have 2 children a 16 year old girl and our son is nearly 13 so secondary schools/colleges is important to us, we would like somewhere with fairly modern houses and not too far from beach and my hubby would be fairly happy to travel abit to and from work daily.

So please any help would be so much appreciated

Bal

xx

P.s. we also have 2 dogs which we would be bringing with us!!

Welcome to the forum.

Have you looked around at jobs sites yet? It can take quite a while to travel around the city in rush hour, so I'd probably look for some idea of where you might be working, and then look at areas to live based on that.

Thanks Blossom, hubby will be first one to find a job so really housing construction site areas would be first place to look, I want to settle children in before I start looking, but any admin work for me would be a start!!

Coco

I am afraid hubby will more than likely have to get his local license/qualifications first, check out http://hia.com.au (hope the link works) for further information on training etc. doubtful a house builder will be willing or even able to employ you without this, your UK qualifications whilst helping to get you out to OZ will in reality be worthless once your here, it can be difficult and frustrating to understand but thats the way it is and the only way to move forward is to go with the flow and not try to buck it. Housing estate building here is vastly different to that as in the UK, if you require any info on this then please ask me and I will help as much as I can. Also please note here you could be classed as a site manager, general foreman and /or foreman they could all be the same thing varies between States.

I also work in construction, but more on the civil side of things here. In the UK I was a site manager on housing (Persimmon homes, Lovell homes, +) as well as other construction companies, I also came out when I was in my 40's. Though I am based in Brisbane I am presently working in Adelaide with the company's SA division for a few months, I am staying in North Adelaide which is near the City and also means I can travel in any direction generally against the rush traffic, but it is an expensive area, but I expect that like me, you being in construction accepts travel and anything with-in 1hr drive is deemed to be near home, so unless you live way down south and work way up north (of Adelaide) and vica-versa, then you should just about cover most areas with-in that hour drive. There is house building work both north and south of Adelaide at present.

The length of time in getting a Visa and actually getting out here then a rethink may be needed on your childrens education, others on this site will be able to give you an idea of the time taken for the whole emmegration process from start to finish.

Good luck

Edited by Keith & Linda
    typos

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for your reply, Scott my hubby is currently working on a Persimmon Job and also does alot of work for Taylor Wimpey etc all major house builders, we have estimated 6 months of so for visa as our friends are just getting theres now and they started end of May it took them 3 months or so, its nice to know there is plenty of work in Adelaide, after just coming back from Perth and having alot of meeting with potential recruiters we know now Scott would not have any problems getting work in WA, he is also aware of all different ways of building and that you need a white card to get on site etc and as you know travelling is a big part of Construction Site work in UK we live in Birmingham and hubby is on big site in Rugby travelling daily this is a 10 year site which started a few months ago!! The company I work also mainly work for housebuilders we are Environmental Consultants and work for all major housebuilders to check land is not comtaminated and ok to build on etc!!

I will get my hubby top contact you if he needs more information although he did spend a day on site in Perth and learnt alot whilst there!!

Thanks again,

Bal

I will try that link now too!!

Hi Bal, I am not saying there is lots of work, just that there are housing developments/estates to the north and south these would be approx 45min travel from the city. A competent pom will have no problems and will soon grasp the actal house building part, its more how the developments/estates themselves are built. One estate could have over 10 housbuilders on site, some could be building just one house, whilst others could be building lots, and a supervisor could well regulary travel between estates north and south, so you will not be based on one site for 10yrs like in the UK.

Keith

Yes Keith, we spoke to a few people in Perth and we also have friends there who have told us this!! I am sure we will be fine once we get there, but when you have always been in work and also headhunted like my hubby has been it all seems a bit daunting. But the actual thought of moving and living your life in the sun is quite exciting and also a better life for our children who are most important to us.

Bal.

Yes Keith, we spoke to a few people in Perth and we also have friends there who have told us this!! I am sure we will be fine once we get there, but when you have always been in work and also headhunted like my hubby has been it all seems a bit daunting. But the actual thought of moving and living your life in the sun is quite exciting and also a better life for our children who are most important to us.

Bal.

Great enthusiasm,:notworthy: keep it up it will help you get over the speed bumps on the road to OZ. Its about being prepared and gathering as much info as possible so we are all here to help where we can. Read back on some of the threads on visa's and jobs on this site to get a feel for things on those two fronts.

With your childrens ages then I expect that they will find it the hardest to settle/adjust to life here, there are also some threads on this too.

Good luck and please ask any questions.

Thank you so much Keith very helpful, enthusiasm is something we have tons of and it is free!!, we have already encountered lots of ups and downs we started this process in June 2012 so the last 12-14 months there have been many good days and some bad days too, but you just have to get on with it!! The only other thing I am struggling with at the moment is what areas to choose to live in I am liking the look of Seaford, Seaford Heights and especially Seaford Meadows, can anyone tell me if these are good areas to live in and have good schooling too??

Bal.

she came back to us last week to say my hubby's job title (Construction Site Manager here) had been taken off the Skills list but was still available in South Australia but may also come back on the WA Skills list from 1 October

You might like to take a look at the current WA list yourself and check that?

Assuming Construction Project Manager

http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/SKILLEDMIGRATION/Pages/Occupationsindemand.aspx

Tee

Edited by TeeTMI

Yes sorry my hubbys job title is Building Associate 312112 which is not available on WA list at the moment but on for SA and Victoria.

Bal.