Guest Emmiejay

Guest Emmiejay
:cute: Hi, new to POA just started the long and daunting road that is the immigration process. My name is Emma I am a nurse currently working in an A & E department, before this I worked on a coronary care unit. My hubby, David is a fitter at a coach building company and we have 3 boys Ryan 18 yrs, Dan 16 yrs and Tristan 9 yr. If anybody has any words of wisdom for us in preparation for the visa/work/eduction etc they would be gratefully received. We are all nervous but very excited, hoping to be out in Adelaide by next June fingers crossed:wacko:

I agree with Tyke, your children will also be a year older at least when you get out here, they need to be in work and mobile as soon as possible it will then make your life a little less stresful. Our two children, age 20 & 18 when arrived, found it very difficult to settle the boy got work labouring in construction gave him money to run a car and persue his hobby in music, but still went through a depression, now at 35 is teaching music production at a private college and taking his masters degree at uni. The daughter is a UK trained chef but had trouble securing friends and permanment work and faced crap work place conditions/wages, as soon as we got citizenship, she went back to UK for a year enjoyed herself but came back calling Aus home, now married to an Aussie army bloke from Perth.

Life comes good but the road is rocky.

Keith

Hello and welcome :)

Not sure the ins and outs but is your oldest still dependant on you? As in at school or some such studying and not working etc? I recall reading about families wanting to migrate but their oldest or older children could not go on the application with them as they were no longer dependant and had moved out of home or gotten a job and so were earning. Not sure what visa type this falls under but thought it worth mentioning so you could double check.

Are you planning on using an agent or going DIY? And what visa type?

Guest MandiMR2

Hi & welcome!

I'm a nurse currently in Lincoln & have thankfully completed my visa process & will be moving out in Jan '14. I have the 190 permanent visa & yes the road to this stage has been daunting, with many ups & downs, but stick at it & persist with your plans & like me, you will get there! Lots & lots of research of reliable, credible & current information is the best advice I can give & the forum & its helpful members is a fabulous source of knowledge & information & has been extremely useful throughout my journey so far. Please message me for any specific info you may require & I'll do my best to help. I've also arranged a members meet up in Yorkshire at the Doncaster M18/M180 services on Sunday October 13th at 12 midday (see thread "Meet up in the UK - North Lincolnshire & Yorkshire) you are very welcome to join us. Best of luck x

Guest Emmiejay

Thanks for all the messages, as far as my eldest son coming with us it's not an issue as he is still a full time student doing level 2 engineering so he is totally dependent on us for financial support. We have been researching the move for the last 6 years would have applied for the visa earlier but wanted more experience first. My eldest eventually wants to join the forces to continue with his engineering education so not sure wether he will stay with us or return to UK but I am happy that he is willing to give it a try, we are a close family and our extended family is huge so plenty of support if he chooses not to stay in Adelaide. We are going for the ss sa 190, I have already sat the IELTS academic and achieved 8s and over in all 4 areas, only had to sit it once thank god it was hard. Just starting to gather documents for the skills assessment, going to spend 2 weeks in Cyprus in a fortnight then gonna knuckle down and get it done so expect me to take you all up on your offer of help.x

Guest Rachael M Bowen

Hi,

have to agree with all posts, tough process but will be worth all the hair pulling in the end. I'm an OT my husband a Care Manager and we have a 15 year old son. We are planning to be over after his GCSE's so July- Sept next year. I have applied for the 189 visa and from what I have gathered from the forum and looking at timelines (these are usually what some people post at the bottom in their signatures, good to have a look at) the 190 gets priority over the 189 so your application should be through quicker. So good luck, keep on keeping on...... and a beach is for relaxing NOT researching enjoy x