Humongous tricky question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best or worst decision oz!!!!

phil&Sue

I now realise why I am so disillusioned with Adelaide. As people keep saying it's all relative to where you came from in the UK.

The last 2 places that I lived in England (Uttlesford and East Herts local authorities) have come out 2nd and 3rd in the Halifax Rural Areas Quality of Life Survey 2013. So obviously I've come from a very good area..... no wonder I don't share other peoples' enthusiasm. And housing is actually cheaper there than in this part of Adelaide (Henley/Grange/West Lakes). So was that a good decision ?????? hmmmmmm....

http://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/media/pdfs/halifax/2013/2903_Rural.pdf

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I now realise why I am so disillusioned with Adelaide. As people keep saying it's all relative to where you came from in the UK.

The last 2 places that I lived in England (Uttlesford and East Herts local authorities) have come out 2nd and 3rd in the Halifax Rural Areas Quality of Life Survey 2013. So obviously I've come from a very good area..... no wonder I don't share other peoples' enthusiasm. And housing is actually cheaper there than in this part of Adelaide (Henley/Grange/West Lakes). So was that a good decision ?????? hmmmmmm....

I think you make a HUGELY good point - it is very relative. People bang on about the beaches down South....and we like them, but coming from the South West, we are not that amazed by them. What does amaze us though is the better weather and lack of crowding :)

It's also true for us that whilst we've been okay living in the city for our first year, renting and just being in a city has not really made it special for us. It's only our very recent move to McLaren Vale that I am starting to feel that we've got it. I can really take or leave Adelaide, but where we are now....I think I could stay here :)

Great point.

I come from south Cambridgeshire which is 6th on the list, and the only things I prefer here is the weather and space. I do feel that south Cambridgeshire was a great place to live.

I had moved to Manchester/Bolton and then I decided to leave there (for more space, better weather down south, I actually didn't mind it too much) then we figured it was already a biggish move, so Australia would be good.

I had totally underestimated how much I would miss traditions. Christmas here doesn't feel like Christmas. There hardly seem to be any yearly sort of tradition things. I had been quite excited to go to the cadel pumpkin festival this year. There were about 3 pumpkins and two stalls! I find a lot of things here there is a lot of build up for nothing.

Anyway, I'm going to the paskerville (sp) field days this month for the first time. Fingers crossed they will be everything I dream of lol.

Guest Sarah Bradley

Have been here over 6 years now and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Am very happy with the education (less pressure, more relevant to real life learning) my daughter has had here. I am doing the same job as I was in the UK but find it much less stressful because of the sunshine, and the pay is relatively the same (it covers the same expenses it did in the UK). Adelaide is what you make it, there are lots of opportunities to do stuff (eg join clubs, see shows and live music, walk on the beach) you just need to get out there and getting outside is much easier due to the weather. I have travelled a lot more than I thought I would with the clubs I joined when we got here. So have been to Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne, Hobart, Sydney and Mt Gambia but I still like Adelaide the best.

Guest matt n mel

I've lived here just over a year and I honestly find it so similar to England. It's just the same, but different! Love the differences in language- always getting pulled up on my words etc which I enjoy, as I find it amusing that there are so many quirky differences. Actually there was a really good post about that on here, very funny.

Weather is so much better- always feel happier with a blue sky!

Glad I moved here, but honestly all the problems with crime etc happen everywhere, so that element will always be around.

Yes it can be expensive, but wages are higher so it's all relative in my opinion. In addition, I had a lot more disposable income in the UK but what was I doing with it? Oh yes, saving up for a holiday in Aus every year haha! Now I am here and can go camping practically for free!

Feel like I belong here, made some aussie friends and I enjoy my work.

Internet makes the world a smaller place so I catch up with friends and family often.

As my fella and I were talking to family and friends before we moved LOADS of people (usually in their 50s/60s) would say "Oh we nearly did that! We were going to move to Australia -or NZ or Canada but then never did cos of family etc" Actually, ctome to think of it my parents were talking about NZ back in the 80s. Of course no one we spoke to took the plunge, but they all talk about it wistfully and wished us well. I say go for it!! What's the worst that can happen? Just move back if you hate it!

Guest Nixipixi82
No, I used to commute in. It seems fair to return the question: have you ever lived here?

Yes, why would I immigrate to a place I have never been? Spend thousands of pounds to go to a theory I have in my head? Come on now, there are some of us with some sense.

The funny thing is, I wasn't the one comparing anything, the people responding (including you) were comparing or trying to make it into some twisted competition of who's place of residence is worse - so random. I just said that a little alcohol and weed is not the end of their teenagers. People on here get so aggressive and defensive over the most silly things.

An example of this would be why this post has everyone obsessing over kids with knifes, it was mentioned as a 'it could be worse' scenario, but like I said, y'all got all competitive and start a comparison. In terms of schools with metal detectors, why don't you use this amazing modern webpage, its called Google. I'm not here to fight, if that is your aim, then you can do that with yourself.

From the messages I have read and feedback from others, it seems this site offers no realistic look at how life actually is in Adelaide, because the people enjoying themselves don't come on here any more, because they are living their lives. It seems the majority of people that do come to this site are us Poms who are moving out there, and those of you who just love to whine and moan about nothing.

I know which one I would rather be when I get there :jiggy:

"From the messages I have read and feedback from others, it seems this site offers no realistic look at how life actually is in Adelaide"

It does, but the hard thing is picking out the nuggets of gold, also, just like any other internet forum, it is all so objective - everyone's experience is different and everyone is looking for different things. Internet forums seem to breed a certain attitude from some peeps which boils down to opinions being presented as fact. Personally, I like living here - it's not perfect, but we've had a good first year. I have quite decided if it's better enough to warrant leaving behind family though but I feel satisfied that we've done what we said we always wanted to try.

I frequent the site on a reasonably regular basis just on the off chance I can help in some way as I did find it quite a useful site pre-migration - in fact, one tip from here meant the difference between making it out here and not.

"From the messages I have read and feedback from others, it seems this site offers no realistic look at how life actually is in Adelaide"

It does, but the hard thing is picking out the nuggets of gold, also, just like any other internet forum, it is all so objective - everyone's experience is different and everyone is looking for different things. Internet forums seem to breed a certain attitude from some peeps which boils down to opinions being presented as fact. Personally, I like living here - it's not perfect, but we've had a good first year. I have quite decided if it's better enough to warrant leaving behind family though but I feel satisfied that we've done what we said we always wanted to try.

I frequent the site on a reasonably regular basis just on the off chance I can help in some way as I did find it quite a useful site pre-migration - in fact, one tip from here meant the difference between making it out here and not.

Can I award a gold star for your post please??? :notworthy:

I always wished many more would come back on and post after they have made the move here to give a more balanced view.

Too many takers and not enough givers!!!!

Guest BurgessFamily

First year was like an extended holiday... blue sky all the way. Second year was full of optimism... beaches saved the day. Third year was full of effort... hoping for more pay. Fourth year was full of reflection... not a lot to say.

The funny thing is, I wasn't the one comparing anything, the people responding (including you) were comparing or trying to make it into some twisted competition of who's place of residence is worse - so random... An example of this would be why this post has everyone obsessing over kids with knifes, it was mentioned as a 'it could be worse' scenario, but like I said, y'all got all competitive and start a comparison.

Oh I see, and there was me thinking I was offering a counter view to your comparisons:

That still sounds pretty tame to kids i hear about from friends and family here in the UK.

... not on the scale here!
Regardless, a thread like this is always going to include comparisons, so chill out; it's nothing to get hot under the collar about.

You asked me if I'd ever lived in London, so I answered in as fair a way as I could. Given that it transpires you've lived in Adelaide (I've just had a look at some of your other contributions and got to say I'd never have picked up on that), it would be useful to hear your views about the place. Where you lived and worked, how long ago it was, why you moved back etc. This would help inform those who haven't had the benefit of living in both places, and would place you squarely in the role of 'giver' to build on Tyke's point. Someone who's lived here previously and is about to make the move again is like gold dust on a site like this – let others learn from you ...

:cute: