SwanseaJack

Car prices Adelaide v's Melbourne

Hi

Question:- would it be cheaper to buy a car in another state ( within reason) and drive it back to Adelaide?

Just looking at different options to save money??

Or is there a rule against this?

Simon

very doubtful, unless you see a real bargain but that can happen in Adelaide too. Plus all the hassle and costs of getting there the time in finding and checking the right car and then getting back, re-registering the car, getting one in Adelaide is better for the SA economy too.

Cheers Keith

I bought a car in Melbourne (a few years ago now and no longer have that car). it was a used car and it was a good buy. I got it checked over by the RACV over there and they found a few issues with it and the dealer committed to have those issues fixed. I got a cheap flight over and used the opportunity to have a few days break in Melbourne with a friend. I did have to get it registered here but it wasn't a huge hassle. The hassle I had was the dealer didn't fix what he said he would fix, which I found out about on the drive back (air-con didn't work) but I persisted with it and eventually got him to pay for the repairs from over here. The brake pads were also meant to be replaced as they were quite worn so I guess I was lucky nothing happened on the way back. If I were to do it again, I think I would get the RACV to check that the repairs were done before I paid and picked up the car.

Yes but its only worth it is its quite expensive.

When I first got here I bought a year old Ford Territory from a dealer in Melbourne. From memory it was around $38-39000. The saving against the same car in SA covered getting to SA in my wife's car and then me, wife, 2 kids and 2 cars spending 5 days along the Great Ocean Road and hotels, meals etc. The total was roughly 5 grand but the car had to be police inspected in SA and reregistered. Buy the car in VIC without the on the road charges. Its worth going into your local DVLA (or whatever its called here) to get an exact cost of rego, tax, etc. My car was inspected at the local police station in the Barossa but I think if you live in Adelaide you have to go to Regency which by all accounts is a bureaucratic nightmare. You would need to drive the car back without any plates - I think the dealer arranged the paperwork for this. We got stopped numerous times for having no plates but its all OK once the appropriate form is flashed. You then have a week or so to sort out the SA paper work.

When I part exchanged the car there was no problem with it initially being VIC registered. This time I bought a car locally as the $ differential was not worth the trip but its certainly something I'd look at again.

There is one drawback that Toni partly mentioned. If there is something wrong with the car that was not mentioned or noticed in pictures then you have very little on the ground bargaining power. The dealer knows you have just paid to get to VIC and going back without a car is just lost money.

Why is it cheaper? - I just assumed its because theres more people in VIC therefore more competition.

Guest Guest12727

New car prices are often cheaper in the eastern States, but we look at the Eastern state price and negotiate down to close to that in SA. it has worked a couple of times. Saves the hassle of Vic registration issues.

Guest parko

I bought a car of ebay recently ,$126.00 for two flights met guy at air port car was a load of crap close up told guy not having it the guy I took with me is clued up on cars so we went to a auction house but it was fixed sales that day got a 07 vw golf 1.9 tdi 70k on clock full service $9725 like brand new inside couple of very minor dents on out side drove back , then down to Lonsdale next day for vin check $60.00 and then normal car tax that you pay anyway, thinking of going back for 2nd car plenty to choose from no problem

I bought our 1st car at the auctions, ex government under 2yr old still with warranty, got it for below reserve, approx $7000 below forecourt prices, kept it 9 years, the wife loved it, she was quite upset when we traded it in for a brand new car and she still misses the old one after 5 years.

Try to buy your car privately. That saves you heaps of money! But please only when you've got experience with cars or take somebody with you who knows what to check about a car. I bought mine's here in Adelaide privatelyand saved 1,300 AUD compared to car dealers (car dealers even most scrap cars always cost an arm and leg)