Diane

What is it with eggs?

In a country as decimalised and metric-ised (Is that a word?) as Australia - where we drive in Kms, buy our milk and fuel in litres, measure our height in cms and weight in kgs, and buy our fruit, meat and fish in kilos, why on earth are they still selling eggs by the dozen???

I can understand that 5 eggs is difficult to box tidily, but what's with the 12 rather than 10???

In a country as decimalised and metric-ised (Is that a word?) as Australia - where we drive in Kms, buy our milk and fuel in litres, measure our height in cms and weight in kgs, and buy our fruit, meat and fish in kilos, why on earth are they still selling eggs by the dozen???

I can understand that 5 eggs is difficult to box tidily, but what's with the 12 rather than 10???

Yes, I never know what to do with those extra two eggs!! Perhaps a Liberal vote will sort out this issue?

Yes, I never know what to do with those extra two eggs!! Perhaps a Liberal vote will sort out this issue?

I can think of a few people I'd throw them at!

I have my own chickens so never need to worry about dozens lol.

Can we assume that you are the 'spring chicken' Blossom.:swoon:

You can buy eggs in 10 packs, I felt cheated when I opened the box, should have 'proof read' the label I suppose, but there a couple of guys out there which will not have a problem on that point!:tongue:

Hells bells ladies, never mind the quantity, it's the size that matters (so they say :smile:) I find that they're getting smaller with every passing day, eggs that is.

Although Australian eggs seem smaller than UK ones (ie large here doesn't seem as big as large there - but I may be wrong) - the quality here seems much better. Yellower yolks!

Although Australian eggs seem smaller than UK ones (ie large here doesn't seem as big as large there - but I may be wrong) - the quality here seems much better. Yellower yolks!

They add stuff to the food to make the eggs richer in colour. They need to eat a lot of greens otherwise. Large here does seem smaller.

Why is this thread getting people so eggcited, look just get all the different size eggs in stacks of 10's and 12's and then you can have an eggtrvaganza!! and once the 2 egg problem is solved I am sure everyone will then be eggstatic.:biglaugh:

Guest Flo

A dozen is easier to split into half, thirds, quarters.... (just have a look at an analog clock....)

Pascal, Leibniz and Laplace (among other famous mathematicians) advocated at one point to change all systems to duodecimal, but this eggcelent approach was unfortunately rejected because, well, we are too stupid to count to twelve unaided and unfortunately only have 10 fingers to help with that...

Guest Claire-n-tel
    it's the size that matters I find that they're getting smaller with every passing day

Think you'll find that happens with age Dougie.....:err:

A dozen is easier to split into half, thirds, quarters.... (just have a look at an analog clock....)

Ah ah! so thats how we got a 3 minute eggtimer! we would have been stuffed with a 10 hour clock, either soft and snotty or hard enough for ammo:wink:.

Look I see many recipes that ask for either egg white or egg yolk, so if we can split an egg like that then surely a 10pack should be no problem, especially for an eneggmatic guy like myself:skeptical:.

Guest Flo
    Ah ah! so thats how we got a 3 minute eggtimer! we would have been stuffed with a 10 hour clock, either soft and snotty or hard enough for ammo:wink:.

Look I see many recipes that ask for either egg white or egg yolk, so if we can split an egg like that then surely a 10pack should be no problem, especially for an eneggmatic guy like myself:skeptical:.

you sure you are not a German in eggsile, their eggheads got them to actually pack 10 eggs per box....

you sure you are not a German in eggsile, their eggheads got them to actually pack 10 eggs per box....

Nein (not ten or twelve) I am not, infact nothing could be fuhrer from the truth! :biggrin:

Edited by Keith & Linda
    extra info

many large volumes are sold in a "gross" which is a dozen dozens. The reason for this is that 12 allows for the most packaging options as it relates to dimensions; it can be factored as 12x1, 6x2, or 3x4. 10 on the other hand only has 10x1 and 5x2 which limits it's packaging options. This gets more important and complex when you are packaging in 3 dimensional boxes. ...... I hear a few years ago the EU tried to ban the sale of eggs in dozens....not metric enough.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Strangly enough i bought eggs recently in a servo (it was sunday morning and i'd run out) it was a box of 10!

Nein (not ten or twelve) I am not, infact nothing could be fuhrer from the truth! :biggrin:

On NO ....not nine.....:arghh:.....are you a poor spela or what

On NO ....not nine.....:arghh:.....are you a poor spela or what

It's german for no! responding to a previous post asking if I was german:jiggy:does that make it more understandable?