What is it with eggs?

Diane

In a country as decimalised and metric-ised (Is that a word?) as Australia - where we drive in Kms, buy our milk and fuel in litres, measure our height in cms and weight in kgs, and buy our fruit, meat and fish in kilos, why on earth are they still selling eggs by the dozen???

I can understand that 5 eggs is difficult to box tidily, but what's with the 12 rather than 10???

In a country as decimalised and metric-ised (Is that a word?) as Australia - where we drive in Kms, buy our milk and fuel in litres, measure our height in cms and weight in kgs, and buy our fruit, meat and fish in kilos, why on earth are they still selling eggs by the dozen???

I can understand that 5 eggs is difficult to box tidily, but what's with the 12 rather than 10???

Yes, I never know what to do with those extra two eggs!! Perhaps a Liberal vote will sort out this issue?

Although Australian eggs seem smaller than UK ones (ie large here doesn't seem as big as large there - but I may be wrong) - the quality here seems much better. Yellower yolks!

They add stuff to the food to make the eggs richer in colour. They need to eat a lot of greens otherwise. Large here does seem smaller.

A dozen is easier to split into half, thirds, quarters.... (just have a look at an analog clock....)

Pascal, Leibniz and Laplace (among other famous mathematicians) advocated at one point to change all systems to duodecimal, but this eggcelent approach was unfortunately rejected because, well, we are too stupid to count to twelve unaided and unfortunately only have 10 fingers to help with that...

A dozen is easier to split into half, thirds, quarters.... (just have a look at an analog clock....)

Ah ah! so thats how we got a 3 minute eggtimer! we would have been stuffed with a 10 hour clock, either soft and snotty or hard enough for ammo:wink:.

Look I see many recipes that ask for either egg white or egg yolk, so if we can split an egg like that then surely a 10pack should be no problem, especially for an eneggmatic guy like myself:skeptical:.

Ah ah! so thats how we got a 3 minute eggtimer! we would have been stuffed with a 10 hour clock, either soft and snotty or hard enough for ammo:wink:.

Look I see many recipes that ask for either egg white or egg yolk, so if we can split an egg like that then surely a 10pack should be no problem, especially for an eneggmatic guy like myself:skeptical:.

you sure you are not a German in eggsile, their eggheads got them to actually pack 10 eggs per box....

many large volumes are sold in a "gross" which is a dozen dozens. The reason for this is that 12 allows for the most packaging options as it relates to dimensions; it can be factored as 12x1, 6x2, or 3x4. 10 on the other hand only has 10x1 and 5x2 which limits it's packaging options. This gets more important and complex when you are packaging in 3 dimensional boxes. ...... I hear a few years ago the EU tried to ban the sale of eggs in dozens....not metric enough.