Driving in Adelaide

Guest the4hopes

Guest the4hopes

Hi

How are the roads, layout, etc compared to UK roads? I drive, but only when I know where I am going, and not out of my area, not on the motorway, I'm really not good with bearings (sounds sad!!) I want to have the confidence to drive as soon as I get out there,and not expect my husband to do all the driving, as I don't want to lose my independence!!

Laura x

:goofy:

You can't get lost very easily in Adelaide, simply because all main roads lead pretty much into the city, the Hills are on the east and the coast on the west. The main roads are usually a couple of lanes. The main metro Adelaide is fairly flat and built on a grid system with smaller side roads in the suburbs. Speed limits are 50 ks unless signposted as otherwise. Where there are no lights you give way to the right. You'll catch on pretty quickly.

Rachel

• 2 weeks later...
Guest the o'shea's

Hi, my name is Caitlin and I am 11 years old.

I have to admit that lots of Ozzie drivers out here drive close to the backside of your car and is fustrating but you get use to it because it's the way they drive out here! Look out 4 the really fast cars because they like to overtake people whenever possible!

I hope this advice helps you on the down under roads!

From Caitlin :policeman::jiggy:

Guest the4hopes

Hi Caitlin

Thanks for your reply. Hope you've settled in well over there. We are hoping to be there later this year, I'll have 2 daughters with me Jessie 12 and Eve 16, it would be nice for them to meet you then you could show them around.

Luv Laura x

Guest sarahsmartiepants

petrol is $1.50 a litre at the moment:shocked:.

Not sure about diesel.

It would be a hard place to get lost in...if the sea is on your left you are heading north if its on your right you are going south, if its behind you you are heading to the hills:biglaugh::biglaugh:.

There was a bit in the tiser last week about SA drivers being the worse in OZ. I reckon thats true!

sarah

Guest Devon
$1.50 cool, still alot cheaper than the UK!

Diesel in the UK is £1.10 + a litre. = $2.20 (approx.)

Remember though when you take into account the wages and cost of living in Oz it's on a par and going up all the time - just a couple of weeks ago it was $1.35 on a Tuesday :arghh:

Saw the bit in the Advertiser about SA drivers being the worst in Oz - something we've been saying for ages now - you do get used to it though and I'm now driving further away from the house :biglaugh:

Talking of the Advertiser though who saw the headline 'Sod off London, Adelaide has traffic jams too' in response to the advert in UK promoting Adelaide's roads :jiggy: