fahi

Arrived in Adelaide

Hi Everybody,

I'm Fahi and arrived in Adelaide with my wife and two kids (3&6 yrs) on 17 th Sep. Presently staying at a short term accommodation. Done few basic things such as applying for a TFN no and opening a bank account etc. Are there anything else to be done.

Do you need to register with a doctor and Medicare?Drivers License?School for the eldest?

Welcome,

All of the above from Lily also worth getting Ambo cover from SA ambulance Service as it can set you back a pretty penny without insurance if you need to call one the family membership is very reasonable considering the cost without

Get an accountant sorted too as you need to do tax returns every year.

Also register for family assistance with Centrelink, dependant on your visa you should get this for your kids.

A lot of schools are catchment area so consider this when looking for long term accommodation

good luck with things its a little daunting especially if you've never been to Australia before.

You don't need an accountant, especially if you work in an office, as doing the tax return yourself online us really easy. Even if you do decide to use one you don't need to worry about it until July next year.

You also don't need to register with a doctor. You can just go to any doctor you feel like. You do need to register with Medicare first though, if you are eligible anyway (if you are from the UK you will be).

Ambulance cover is a good idea, although if you decide to get health insurance they will usually have ambulance cover included.

Thank you guys for your advice. We are on 489. So I'm afraid we are eligible for medicare (not from UK also) and looking for a suitable insurance cover. BUPA seems very popular here. Any others? Appreciate if you can share your experience. Regarding driving licence, I heard that foreign DL can be used for 2 years. Started looking for primary schools. Prefer southern and western suburbs close to the CBD. Any known good government schools to share?

I swopped from BUPA to HCF due to cost and HCF have been great so far, they have a place in Marion where you can chat to someone about what you want. With regard to your driving licence, I went to swop mine and was told I could use it whilst on a temp visa, didn't have to swop it till I became aPermanent resident.