Diane

Adelaide could be really cool!

Guest Claire-n-tel

We've just had my cousins from Melbourne staying for a week......to be honest they did think Adelaide was really cool! We drove up to Mannum and around stopping for a picnic at a friends new block and had a jet ski on the river, we had a look around Belair NP spotting wild koalas (7 of them) we hired a minibus and did a winery day in McLaren Vale, we walked on some beautiful beaches, had lunch from a couple of cool "pop-ups" did a dolphin cruise from port adelaide for less than 10 bucks each, had a morning looking and tasting in central market, ate oysters on the beach, and had breakfast in the back yard in the lovely sunshine we've been having!

We've just put them on the train back to Vic and i'm fairly sure they think adelaide is really cool!

It could be but to me it seems that the stuff they do to make it attractive to visitors is always half hearted - like the Port Adelaide bit around the lighthouse; they have the buskers spot but I've never seen anyone busking in it and that huge empty space which would make a really cool water play park (the kind where there are jets and stuff, not a full on pool) and then people might feel they want to stay there all day. It's one of my favourite areas of Adelaide with all of its old(er) buildings but there's not much made of the history apart from the walk tour sheet from the tourist office but even I find it hard to stay more than an hour if we're not going to one of the museums up there.

Tourism is always a hard one because to make it viable you have to have people to visit but you have to get them there first!

Cool?:biglaugh:.Don't know about cool as in Trendy,but it sure is cool indoors a lot of the time!:xmas7:Never felt so cold in the evening/night for such long periods throughout the year.Roll on Summer i say!

One of comments make some very good points:

barney1 day ago

I'm from Adelaide and we now live in Portland. The article neglects two things. Firstly, it's true that Nike has it's world headquarters here, but it's also true that Adidas has in US headquarters here, Intel has 3 major manufacturing plants, there are at least 2 truck manufacturing companies, Tektronix makes it's electronic equipment here, Fred Meyer has it's headquarters here and the list goes on. Secondly, the weather may be bad but there's an 11,000 foot mountain one hour away, plus another half dozen above 7,000 feet, plus major rivers in the city and the Pacific is an hour away also. So people don't live here for the wine. They live here because there's enough career-satisfying work, and they like the outdoor lifestyle. Adelaide has a long way to go to get the work fixed so people don't need to leave for the eastern states, and when that's done, there needs to be more to bring people in than the Barossa and Mclaren Vale.