808shaun808

Hi, Just been granted 489 visa

Hello we have just been granted our Vesa's this week. Myself my wife and 3 boys will be heading out to Adelaide next year from Essex after my eldest has finished his final year at collage and my middle boy finishes his final year at school.

Has anybody else gone out on the 489 visa? As it is not a PR does it have any draw backs ie do we have to pay for schools or colleges etc.

Also I am an electrician and have been a bit worried about some of the hoops I will have to jump through to gain a licence. Has anybody got any experience of this? Although I havnt been on the tools for a couple of years now I would still like to keep my eye in.

I have been reading some of the threads on this forum and have been really impressed by a lot of the positive feed back people are willing to give. So much better than some of the other forums.

Any way thanks for reading this and I look forward to reading any of your comments.

Kind regards

Guest cyprus2001

Congratulations to you all. Where abouts in Essex you from we used to live in dagenham then moved to Rayleigh about seven years ago now in Adelaide, seaford area. Good luck with the move also sorrywe are on a temp visa but it's a 457 and no you don't have to pay for the schools each year you pay a small fee of around 300 dollars or so this covers stationary etc and some excursions each year but unless you opt for private schools then No you don't have to pay actual school fees.

Hope this helps

Edited by cyprus2001

Hiya we're from Essex too originally - Brentwood growing up, then Galleywood then Hatfield Peverel as adults. South Australia doesn't discriminate in terms of school fees for people on temporary visas (I think NSW and ACT are the only states at the moment that treat children of parents on 457 visas as international students). I think you may find Uni fees are either higher, or have to be paid all at once though if you are not citizens or permanent residents. Also do bear in mind that if for any reason things don't work out here, if you go back to England and your kids want to go to Uni there, they have to have been living in the Uk for the three years previous to entry, or they have to pay international fees.

HI Guys thanks for the responses. We currently live near Maldon in essex.

That's good to here about the charges. There's such a slot to think about when doing this and as we have a bit of time before we leave I want to cover as Many bases before we go to make the transition a bit easier if possible, so any suggestions will be extremely helpfull.

Thanks