Lol63

car rentals

Renting a car from Budget, and found them reasonable, but when we went to book it they want an extra $310 to cut the excess from $2.800 to just $300, but we haven't got the extra money, should we take a chance and hope for the best or dip into our holiday money (which is already pretty tight) we are also travelling interstate which has cost us $150 extra. The cost just keeps spiraling....:arghh:

We came over on holiday 7 times before moving over and we never took the extra insurance. Never had a problem and never had to pay anything else. We figured if anything happened we would just pay the excess. And we were often quoted an excess of $10k. You can get separate policies to cover the car hire excess rather than purchase it from the hire car company. We never did it so I don't have any recommendations but try googling.

Interestingly when searching for holiday insurance for our trip to the UK next year most companies had car insurance excess cover as a standard part of their policies.

I found http://aussiecarrentals.com.au/ far better value than any of the 'big names'. I'd recommend them to anyone.

I will second this . Michael is great - he will also meet you at the airport and help with excess luggage. He goes the extra mile. I'm not a big fan of insurance....well I think it is necessary but IMO I always take out the lower excess when it comes to car hire as when I am overseas I am not 100% there so worried something might happen (usually too busy having a sticky beak at what's around).

I will second this . Michael is great - he will also meet you at the airport and help with excess luggage. He goes the extra mile. I'm not a big fan of insurance....well I think it is necessary but IMO I always take out the lower excess when it comes to car hire as when I am overseas I am not 100% there so worried something might happen (usually too busy having a sticky beak at what's around).

I'll third this - can you third an opinion:-\? Anyway, great guy and reasonable price.

Geoff.

Thanks everyone recommendations are now saved for future reference, our second driver is with the RAA and for $95 we are covered for excess of $3000, we are happy with that. Thanks again xx

M D autos looks after all his customers new and old

sadly he can't promote that he looks after you on the site anymore

but highly recommended.

top bloke but he has to charge it's his livelihood.

give him a ring!!

I've never paid excess with a car hire place - google for separate excess reduction insurance - I usually take out a policy for this for around $20 for a week (rather than the extra $30+ per day that the car hire places add on). Also if you have travel insurance, excess on car hire may be covered (though sometimes you must be 300km away from home to claim).