If I was looking at starting a business from home such as taking in ironing or party-plan style do you need to have an ABN or can you just advertise on Gumtree and hoard all of the money?!

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hey Flossey!.....nope you'll need an ABN so the tax man can get his share!

Suspected as much - in that case; is it a tricky and costly process to obtain a number or is it a matter of filling in an online form?

Thanks.

From what I remember it is simple.

My cousin in law was trying to get me to get one when I first got here to get cheaper mobile contracts (not what they are for).

Guest Kennymclachlan

I started a business years ago in the UK and again here in Adelaide - the difference is incredible. The process of starting a business in Oz is simple, efficient and cost-effective. Get an ABN, register your name for the business (even your own name if that's what you wish) and decide whether to register for tax(GST). Most of the process is painless and can be done via the telephone. Just check that you do not need a licence to carry out your work. If you do, this could add the huge amount of $30-$40 to the cost! Like I said, compared to the UK system, it's a breeze.

Good luck.