Guest maggie

What can I sort before i go ???

Guest maggie

Hi everyone,

Now that I know where I am headed I want to sort out as much as possible in the sort space of time I have left. So here are some questions

Could I and if so how would I sort out tax codes for me and my husband before we go or should I just wait til we get there?

What do I need to do to open a bank account should I do that now?

Does anyone know of any nice hotels or B&B that we could stay in until we find more permanent accommodation?

Is there any water parks in Adelaide? (My 5 yr old wants to know this)

What can I do to control my excitment think I will explode soon.

Marie

:cute:

hi ya and welcome to this site now as for tax codes ive not even gone down that road yet and i go to adelaide 16th april i will sort that one when i get there as for banks ive onpened a hsbc priemer account and there is a bank in adelaide in town center also ive opened a westpac account over phone from england but you do need a address to register the account to...now as for water parks i never see any when i was there in 2006 but dont forget adelaide is next to the coast the sea is cool to swim in plus its free and you get to sunbath at the same time best beach i found was glenelg and lovly town...ok renting just look up short term rentals adelaide in google and you will find loads but dont go to medway apartments in anzac highway the pictures on the web site are nothing like the real rooms i stayed there one night and moved out is was very dirty and the smell well i thought somenone had died and tryed to cover up with air freshner also try glen osmand road there is lots of motels or if you have google earth that will help alot

hope this helps

alex

Guest BAZnDAF

Maggie,

I found this posted somewhere, sry can't remember, but it has a few things listed, might be useful.

Before you move

12 months to go

• Make sure you have at least 2 years left on your passports.
    • Dig out all your personal paperwork, including birth, adoption and marriage certificates, employment refeences, driving licences and qualifications.
    • Apply for your visas
    • Update your CV to make it suitable for the Oz/Kiwi market place.
    • Start job hunting.
    • Put your house on the market.
    • Get your finances in order, consolidate bank accounts and reduce debts.
    • Consider talking to your employer about your migration plans.
    • Talk to your childrens schools about your plans and ask them to prepare hand-over files.
    • Discuss your plans with extended family and friends.

6 months to go

• Get quotes from removals companies and flights and get them booked.
    • If you are shipping pets, make sure they are fully innoculated and fir to travel. Your vet can advise you.
    • Get quotes and book pet shipment.
    • Sell any unwanted items of furniture and clear out cupboards.
    • Clean and paint any garden tools and furniture you plan to take. Items with soil on will be denied entry at customs.
    • Give formal notice to your employer and ensure you get your P45.
    • Ask your doctor, dentist,optician for your hand-over files.
    • Open an Oz/Kiwi bank account.
    • Set up a trading account with a currency broker.
    • Request credit references from your bank,building society or any other lending agent.
    • Identify temporary accommodation in case your house sells sooner than expected and you have to move out

2 months to go

• Track down temporary accommodation in Oz/NZ.
    • Book accommodation for each destination on route.
    • Register children in new schools.
    • Book accommodation in OZ/NZ for pets.
    • Start having Goodbye parties now as time runs away at the end.
    • Organise all birthday cards and presents for the next 3 months.
    • Request up to date statements on any endowments, pensions and investments.
    • Depending on your tenancy agreement, give notice to your landlord if renting your property.

1 month to go

• Give your change of address to your bank, passport office, DVLA, pension company, inland revenue, insurance brokers and accountants.
    • Bring council tax and utilities up to date and cancel accounts for TV, internet, phone and insurance.
    • Go to a car book sale to sell any items you don’t want to take with you, or donate them to a charity shop.
    • Arrange all your post to be redirected to a friend or relative.
    • Transfer funds to Oz/NZ.
    • Start packing non essential items.
    • Collect all hand-over files from doctor, dentist, optician, schools etc.
    • Arrange some private health cover for Oz/NZ if required.
    • Pay off any outstanding debts.
    • Close any surplus bank accounts and destroy unwanted cards.
    • Shred any personal records you are not taking and dispose of.
    • Confirm the removalists are booked.
    • Ensure all your relevant paperwork is in a handy travel file.
    • Cancel any redundant direct debits or standing orders.
    • Ask for a copy of your No Claims Bonus from your insurance company.

1 week to go

• Cancel any newspapers, milk or satellite TV subscriptions.
    • Sell your car, bike, van or any other transport you wont be needing.
    • Cancel car insurance.
    • Buy some currency for each destination on route to Oz/NZ.
    • Throw more Goodbye parties!
    • Ensure that yur gods are either about to leave the UK or are on their way Down Under.
    • Organise any presents and cards your children may want to send to their friends prior to leaving.

1 day to go

• Make sure transport to the airport is organised and will arrive in plenty of time for the flight.
    • Establish who will be coming to the airport to say goodbye.
    • Pack activity sets and small gifts to amuse young children on the flight.
    • Get a good night’s sleep

When you get there

On arrival

• Pick up a copy of “On Arrival” magazine at the airport; it contains lots of ideas, information and helpful websites.
    • Collect your hire car and check into your accommodation.
    • Contact people back home to let them know you have arrival safely.
    • Try not to sleep through the day.
    • Set up a Pay-as-you-Go mobile phone to start your off – you can buy a cheap SIM card and use it in your UK phone.
    • Find your nearest internet cafe for property and area research.
    • Take a few days to get over the journey and explore the area.

1 week later

• Get a tax file number (TFN) for Oz or an IRD number for New Zealand.
    • Contact your new employer to confirm you have arrived.
    • Explore the area or suburb you think you would like to live in and ask the locals as many questions as possible.
    • Meet with rental agents and start reviewing some accommodation property options.
    • Find a solicitor to help with rental or purchase contracts.
    • Consider buying a car sooner rather than later. Used cars are cheap if you don’t yet qualify for credit.
    • Get car insurance.
    • Register at a local school and arrange to meet your children’s new teachers.
    • Get a landline installed and set up internet access.
    • Invite your neighbours around for drinks and focus on making new friends for you and your children.

1 month later

• Review your financial position and transfer more funds if required.
    • Set up standing orders for utilities.
    • Register for your local doctor and dentist, and for Medicare (Oz).
    • Meet with mortgage brokers to understand your borrowing capacity.
    • Visit your children’s schools to ensure that they have settled in ok.
    • Identify a reliable plumber, electrician and mechanic in your area.
    • Consider re-writing your will.
    • Discuss your first month with your employer and resolve any problems that may have cropped up.
    • Start to attend social functions or join a sports club.
    • Establish a routine and settle into your new life!

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi,

You won't be able to get a tax code until you are here, bank account you can open from the UK have a look at these links

http://www.migrantbanking.co.uk/

http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/publish.nsf/Content/PBIT+Migrant+banking

http://www.hsbc.com.au/1/2/personal/personal-banking

No out and out water parks I'm afraid but plenty of beaches to choose from,

Good luck

Guzzler

Guest Libby1971

There is the Adelaide Aquatic centre which is really a collection of pools with I think a slide, only been once. It is in North Adelaide so a good half hour from southern suburbs.

To be honest re b & bs, I think a good holiday rental would be your best bet. Roo, Guzzler and Sas and Tyke on here all have rentals so this may be a start for you to consider. We had a cheap OAA rental when we arrived, and if I could go back, I wouldn't have done that. I would book for about a month to give yourself plenty of time to find a rental, and sort out furniture (if buying when you get here, they aren't exactly quick with delivering it) or wait for your stuff to arrive.

Libby

Guest cornish Busdriver

Hiya.

Spotted a waterpark thingy at Glenelg i think, well it had all the flumes down on the waterfront.

Otherwise theres always the beach.

Guest Nick11
    Hiya.

Spotted a waterpark thingy at Glenelg i think, well it had all the flumes down on the waterfront.

Otherwise theres always the beach.

That's the beach house - a serious place to avoid for parents unless you want your wallet emptying by your kids.

If we go - we do the lock in from 6-8 at night and pay a set fee to use everything - the kids share a card between them!

Guest graandjac
    There is the Adelaide Aquatic centre which is really a collection of pools with I think a slide, only been once. It is in North Adelaide so a good half hour from southern suburbs.

To be honest re b & bs, I think a good holiday rental would be your best bet. Roo, Guzzler and Sas and Tyke on here all have rentals so this may be a start for you to consider. We had a cheap OAA rental when we arrived, and if I could go back, I wouldn't have done that. I would book for about a month to give yourself plenty of time to find a rental, and sort out furniture (if buying when you get here, they aren't exactly quick with delivering it) or wait for your stuff to arrive.

Libby

:biglaugh:Libby this is twice now you must be on commission:pCheers Graham

Guest paul_smart
    Hi everyone,

Now that I know where I am headed I want to sort out as much as possible in the sort space of time I have left. So here are some questions

Could I and if so how would I sort out tax codes for me and my husband before we go or should I just wait til we get there?

What do I need to do to open a bank account should I do that now?

Does anyone know of any nice hotels or B&B that we could stay in until we find more permanent accommodation?

Is there any water parks in Adelaide? (My 5 yr old wants to know this)

What can I do to control my excitment think I will explode soon.

Marie

:cute:

Hi Maggie,

tax codes can't help with, an event I will have to deal with when i get there,

I stayed in the YHA in light square middle of the city, a short walk from everywhere, very clean, bright and friendly, it did have great staff, and there was a huge range of people, families, back packers students etc, with a good community room with a small games area for kids, it was quite cheap and I stayed there for 3 months, they didn't mind long termers, as for the water park, once your 5 yr old steps onto Glenelg beach I'm sure that's all they'll need!

You can open a bank account in the UK, there are a few that are international, HSBC kind of is, and Citibank are 2 that you could choose, setting an account up was easy when I was over there though you must shop about as the banks charge you monthly just for the pleasure of having an account with them!

If your from the South, there is an EXPO at the london Olympia this SAT and SUN, £15 on the door 12.50 if you book on line, look up Olympia and expo 08 for tickets, there are going to be shipping companies there as well as Ozzie banks so if you take your passport you can set up an account before you leave the UK, Hope this helps!

paul.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

It would depend on how many of you there are. If you are a family then go for one of the short term rentals on here they have everything that you might need. If it is just you then a caravan would probably do, but for the price of that you might as weel go for one of the houses.

TFN you get on line when you get here

You can open accounts with banks from over there you will just need to go to the main branch in the city with ID than you will be able to go to any branch after that, I wouldnt bother with HSBC there is only the one in the city none in the subs..ok if you will live in the city I guess.

There is the beach house but as Nick said EXPENSIVE! And the aquatic centre (not been there so I dont know). There is not much in the way of that kind of thing here, they have the beach and lots of parks.

As for controlling your excitment???????????????? Cant answer that one sorry!

sarah