Julia Skinner

Anyone from Stirling or surrounds to help answer some questions?

Hi

i am currently in Melbourne but looking to move to Stirling within the next six months. I have some questions on climate, public transport, schools, mums groups, proximity to stuff to do etc. So if anyone lives in or around Stirling I would love to hear from you.

Justjulia x

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I don't live in the Stirling area but have driven through it a few times. It's a pretty area near the Mount Lofty Botanic Gardens and up into the Hills. As far as I would imagine the climate won't be too different from Adelaide itself although perhaps a few degrees cooler than the CBD. There is a park and ride available in Crafers (about 3 minutes from Stirling) and driving up into the City itself wouldn't take more than 30 minutes but there are plenty of lovely shopping areas on the east side of the city so you wouldn't have to come in all of the time.

Good luck with your move and maybe someone from that side of the city will be along to help out with more practical information.

Hi Julia

I lived in Stirling for 2 & a bit years and loved it still do. Climate yes it is a few degrees cooler and winters are...a bit cold if you live there you need a wood burning stove in your house. Bush fires can also be a problem, but......Its lovely very family friendly they have a market once a month where everyone sees there neighbours, the shops are lovely and dont get me started on the Stirling Hotel many a enjoyable afternoon / night spent there. I found the libray was very child friendly I dont have children but when first moved there used the computers for internet and there was always some kind of groups going on.

I have a car but I worked close to the CBD and 20 mins on a good day to work, but could take 30 minutes. Mt Barker is in the other direction and has all the usual shops / movies if you dont want the city. Other areas at the bottom of the hill (freeway) are Burnside great shops and then onto the Parade again great shops & restaurants.

So yes I can recommend that area of the hills, so just hollow if you want any further info.

Cheers Sue

Edited by Sue29
    Adding info

Guest smilla

Hi Julia,

We moved to Aldgate a few months ago now. Aldgate is 2 km down the road from Stirling and is equally as beautiful. We lived by the beach the first 2 years of being here and loved it but there was something missing. For us we needed the greenery, nature, village/small town environment for our young kids. Local schools, local kids which is lovely for the littlies. There are a few schools around here, depending on where you live, I think a couple of them are zoned. Firstly Stirling Primary East, 500+ students, lovely grounds, great reputation academically and musically, zoned. St Catherines Catholic School, Stirling, don't know anything about this one but tucked away around the back of Stirling. Aldgate Primary & Bridgewater Primary, both unzoned and have good reputations. Approx 180-130 students so smaller.

Climate is cooler than the flat but fresher. We have had the winter here and yes we have had the wood burner most nights (and some days), we didn't need extra heating in the bedrooms like we did in Hove. Just need an extra layer which always comes off once you hit the flat (city etc).

Haven't found any mums groups yet but everyone seems really friendly at the schools. There are a few dance classes, karate, tennis, soccer, scounts etc which is local. People see each other all the time which makes it a nice friendly environment to live in.

There is a great organic market and cafe in Stirling, fantastic atmosphere. I get there as often as I can!

Local boutique shops in Stirling, great library for kids and adults.

If you are looking for cinema/bowling/swimming/gymnastics etc you will find this in Mount Barker which is a 15/20 min drive.

We love it here.

If you would like to know any other nitty gritty stuff, just PM me.

Good luck and give us a shout if you fancy a coffee when you move up here.

Sam

Thank you for all your lovely positive replies. Really hope we get to Adelaide soon as I know we will love the hills. My husband works in IT so that us currently the only sticking point as there is not much about in SA. Hopefully we will be enjoying a glass of wine at the Stirling hotel very soon. X

We happened to visit an open garden (beechwood) on the weekend, never been to Stirling before and I must say that both the wife & I were really pleasantly surprised with the place, the whole town just had such a nice look and feel to it, there are well above the normal amount and type of shops one would expect for such a small town, I think we counted 5 banks and an unbelievable kitchen utensils shop which is well worth a visit (guys you can buy your wife's some new pans for xmas..... if you dare!) we then had a drive along the signposted scenic route, stopped in Aldgate for some lunch in a nice Mexican themed place, and intended just to have a quick look in a gift/toy shop but got way-layed by the owners showing us all the (some amazing) stuff they had, some good/different xmas gifts and toys for all ages.

Then onto Hahndorf via Echunga which has a tank at the war memorial, missed the gold diggings though! maybe next time. All in all a great day, a great area with some pleasant surprises. and less than 20min from the City.

Thanks Keith, new pans.....your wife is one lucky lady :) although probably more appreciated than new pants, which is what I thought you had written at first glance! Thank you for your reply, glad you got the same feeling of the hills that we did, it really has a lovely and dare I say it non Aussie feel to it!