What to pack....?

Guest graandjac

Guest graandjac

Hi Guys, apart from clothers and shoes what else sould we be packing in our suit cases...? is there anything somebody thought "i wish we had packed that" and didnt.

Everyone talkes about the extra baggage allowance but is it really worth it just for 8 cases worth of clothes...?

Checked with singapore airlines today and all you need for the extra allowance is the visa sticker in your passport nothing else thats on a permanent 136 visa.

Cheers Graham

Guest swampo

We would be interested in that one as well. In rented at the moment with packing all around us. What to take for October arrival, what to leave the shippers to bring? Have started to make a list of 'essential' items but not really sure about shoes, coats, jumpers etc.

I also had a folder of all my legal documents from birth certificate, references, bank details etc that I took carry-on, as just too personal to put in a suitcase.:cute:

Judi x

Our flight to Adelaide was via Singapore and I must say it was great to be able to use the showers there. It cost $9 and well worth it. We had to wait 20 minutes, so might be worth you booking your slot. No need to bring a towell as they provide you with everything.

Also it you tell them you are emigrating to Australia , Singapore Airlines lets you take 40 kg each in luggage - check out thier website for more details.

Definately bring more jumpers/fleeces than you think you will need, slippers and dressing gowns and tracksuits . I also wished I packed more shoes/boots as our container has been delayed by 8 weeks!!!!.

Dressing gowns, personal documentation in the hand luggage, you can get bedding (decent) here so that's not a problem really & its very bulky to squeeze into any suitcase. Today I wore a vest top & a lightweight jacket (raining) but I was still warm, the nights I have noticed are much cooler now.

Good luck

Angela x

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hellmans Mayonaisse, Gravy Granules, Next clothes, Marks & Spencers clothes, Jaffa Cakes, Walkers crisps, Cadbury's Chocolate, Central heating, BBC, Football (Saturday afternoon version instead of early hours version), Coronation Street, Eastenders, the list goes on, bring these and it will just feel like "HOME", now what I mean:arghh:,

See you soon,

Guzzler

If you want to bring English coats, don't pack em, wear em onto the plane. Otherwise they will take up too much room. During the day in winter, unless it is really frosty you can usually get by with a shirt and a polar type fleecy. It depends how snug you like to feel. I don't wear any shoes or socks in the house year round, but that's just me. If you are just bringing clothes then pack as much as poss so you won't have to rebuy for a while. It is far easier to ditch what is not suitable later than watch your dollars roll away rebuying stuff you already had.

My hand luggage when I came back here weighed an absolute ton. When I got off the plane in Melbourne, I could only carry it a little way before putting it down again. In it I had my son's Brio train set ( you may laugh but what cost me 20 in UK for a large set would have been about $200 here. The rest of the weight was all of the picture books. They didn't weigh hand luggage so much then. Just as well:D

Guest graandjac
Hellmans Mayonaisse, Gravy Granules, Next clothes, Marks & Spencers clothes, Jaffa Cakes, Walkers crisps, Cadbury's Chocolate, Central heating, BBC, Football (Saturday afternoon version instead of early hours version), Coronation Street, Eastenders, the list goes on, bring these and it will just feel like "HOME", now what I mean:arghh:,

See you soon,

Guzzler

;)Now keith i never had you down as an winging pom,.....!! but we will see what we can do.

Cheers Graham

Guest jill wright

Hi Graham

We are going on the SIR 475 visa which is temporary but after two years working can apply for permanent. Do you know if we get extra baggage allowance or is it just the permanent visa holders.

Thanks Jill

Guest katsmajic

theres 6 of us coming with 40k each...lots of suitcases ;) = lots of shopping ;)

ive stocked up on towels, toiletries, bedding etc bits for the kids and lots and lots of clothes...ive even had to buy more clothes as i havnt filled all the cases yet :P that was a bit tricky to explain to hubby as he rekons we dont need to fill up to 40k each...but hey its a waste not too isnt it?! :D

i ran out of cases - popped onto freecycle and some lovely people have given me some more - ive put alot of our stuff on freecycle so reckon ive evened out the good deeds.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Hi Guys, apart from clothers and shoes what else sould we be packing in our suit cases...? is there anything somebody thought "i wish we had packed that" and didnt.

Everyone talkes about the extra baggage allowance but is it really worth it just for 8 cases worth of clothes...?

Checked with singapore airlines today and all you need for the extra allowance is the visa sticker in your passport nothing else thats on a permanent 136 visa.

Cheers Graham

Tea bags, bisto, cadburys choclate, marmite and anything from next:biglaugh:.

Not really! Just dont throw anything away that you can ship. Maybe pack some towels and a set of bedding each in so you dont need to buy some to tide you over til the container arrives. I have loads of plates cups and cutlery if you want to borrow that?

Thinking of that I have loads of bedding and towels too, maybe I should start a loan business!

sarah

Guest soggy
Hi Graham

We are going on the SIR 475 visa which is temporary but after two years working can apply for permanent. Do you know if we get extra baggage allowance or is it just the permanent visa holders.

Thanks Jill

Hi,

we came on the sir495 and singapore said no to us 3 times, we came with about 30kg each anyway and they were going to charge us, I just said I thought we got extra if we are migrating, she looked at the visa again and said ok then, we were lucky, but I have heard that the rules maybe changed now or about to change so best check.

I doubt it applys to you but the extra allowance is for uk passport holders only ! my wife and daughter have chinese passports but the nice check in supervisor said ok as we were not having a stopover.

Simon:D:D:D:D

Guest louiesmum

Hi

I also will be watching this post with interest. But wow guys I've just noticed you've booked your flights!!!! How exciting, the house is obviously all going or gone through, enjoy your last few weeks in the UK! Happy packing!! Our house sale is still going through very slowly its painful, but hey it is going...

Guest graandjac
Hi Graham

Thanks Jill

Hi Jill spoke to Singapore airlines yesterday and they said the visa has to have the wording and i quote...."permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely" which i think is a yes you need to be on a permanent visa:(sorry. Cheers Graham

Hi Jill spoke to Singapore airlines yesterday and they said the visa has to have the wording and i quote...."permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely" which i think is a yes you need to be on a permanent visa:(sorry. Cheers Graham

We were obviously very luckily then ( or they have since changed the ruling) as we came out in Feb on a temp visa !!!!.

As with a lot of things in life, It seems to be one set of rules for one person and another set for others.

Best advice you can get is "to have it in writing " from them.:)

Jill - As a temp resident (SIR495) we actually emailed Singapore & they authorised us an extra luggage allowance up to 30 kg each...............we were still over though !! London were much more laid back with the excess than Singapore.........be warned !!

Good luck

Guest Libby1971

I had heard that the detail becomes crucial in Singapore. What London will let you get away with, because you have a UK passport, Singapore won't. And of course then you get hit with charges you weren't expecting etc.

I had also heard that Singapore Airlines have changed their requirements and unless it says on the visa stamp in your passport indef leave granted etc then you won't get the extra. Maybe they have been stung a few times eh?

We took a plastic folder with all our documents in. I didn't want to take the chance it got lost.

In hand luggage, we had 2 changes of underwear, 2 pairs of socks and 2 tshirts each plus toiletries. Once rolled up, it took up hardly any space in the bags. We booked 2 rooms at the Changi Hotel at Sinagpore Airport which costs about £20-ish and which had a big double bed, ensuite, TV, phone, tea/ coffee making facilities and was a great place to stretch out properly and have a bit of privacy. If you aren't doing a stopover I would recommend that. Or the new Crown Plaza hotel which opens this summer. Both are inside the airport.

For suitcases, I would pack an umbrella, and lots of layers. I would also wear anything a bit bulky which although awkward to carry is much easier than having to heave it around in a suitcase taking up valuable space.

We did bring bedding with us-what a waste of time that was! We had to go to buy duvets and pillows anyway on our first day here and could quite easily have bought something there. We did the cheap OAA route and that I would change if I had to go back and do it again.

And although Guzzler is quite right in his list :P, he did miss Tuna Pasta Bake Sauce mix, which is quite frankly essential!

Libby

Guest Libby1971

Oh I forgot to say, watch the weight of your suitcases.

We bought one of those large expanding suitcases which was labelled as Heavy Item at Heathrow.

When we got it off the baggage rail thing in Adelaide, Bob had to really heave it in order to get it off the conveyor belt. He ended up breaking his ribs! :shocked:Which was not funny in the first few days. He tried to cover it up though because he didn't want me lifting it and hurting myself so ended up scaring me to death when he went every colour you think of as he grabbed the suitcases.

Libby

Guest graandjac

...."permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely" think your right Libby they wern't intrested in any other paperwork (still taking it just in case) , but also going to leave our cases in transit so they only get checked in once as we are only stopping over for 5 hours . Shippers in tomorrow and our container leaves on sunday....nearly there.

Cheers Gra & Jac

Hi guys,

we are on a temp visa, the company we booked our flights through advised us that we could get the extra baggage allowance, but we stayed at the airport hotel the night before we were due to leave, so the afternoon before, we asked at the check-in desk about our baggage allowance and were told that instead of 40kg we were only allowed 20kg each because it was a temp visa!

We have an extra 4 cases and were going to be charged 35 pounds per kilo over, which was totalling 2100 pounds with the airline, our shipping company were based near the airport and we shuttled our bags to them, they arrived 2 days after we did at a cost of 450 pounds.

So my advice be careful and make sure you have the details in writing about the extra baggage allowance or it can make a rough start to your journey.

We also packed our cases first and basically lived out of them for a couple of weeks, everything else went with the shipping company, we have been here 5 weeks now and our container arrives in the next 2.5 weeks. I'm starting to miss the excess clothes and nik naks now as I feel we are wearing the same stuff over and over again, most of the things I put in my case were casual and want my nice stuff now!!!!!

hi there

i packed all my important documents in a folder in my hand lugage.

as for towels etc and bedding as Libby said you can get them cheap over here in ikea etc. in your container pack as much Next and Deb clothes as you can, and then i can buy them off you lol:jiggy:only joking.

we arrived in January (summer) but our container left november so we had all our winter clothes as well as our summer clothes in our suitcases and Quantas allowed us 23 kg each (on a permanent visa) so i was going around all the suitcase shops to find the lightest ones so i could get extra weight in clothes in them. i also packed lots of clothes into our container, stuff that i could do without for a few months although i wish i had packed more boots and shoes etc and all our dressing gowns. we gave so much away.

wear your coats and fleeces as you can always take them off and it does get cold on the plane.

we managed to get little bottles of tolietries from Boots or Superdrug to use at the airport in Singapore, but we only had an half hour stop over, so it was freshen up quickly before we were back on the plane.

Also to add what Guzzler and Libby said, also need Jammie doggers, and old el paso Fajita mix for chicken ( they are a must:))

take care Jo x:v_SPIN: