Sign in to follow this  
Guest vikkiann

Honolulu Airport

Guest vikkiann

Hi all

We are off to America in 10 days and have a 7 hour stop over in Honolulu airport.

I've tried looking on Google but can't see much.

Has anyone been through here?

Any info on what's in the airport?

We are travelling with 4 kids so need to plan!!

Thanks

Vikki

x

Guest vikkiann

Thanks Diane, i tried that and all i seem to read about is the garden.

Whilst gardens may be nice, my kids will soon get bored!

Afraid not much to do at the airport, but for 7 hours you could go outside, you could possibly get a free hotel shuttle bus (or a service bus, or Taxi) to Waikiki beach area plenty to keep you occupied there. Check this out by contacting 1 or 2 of the hotels now and asking the questions, we do something similar when in LA airport.

When entering the States, even when in transit you will still have to clear customs and passport control which means collecting your bags and re-going through some form of check-in/bag drop, cannot help with the exact details but should not be too difficult to work out once you are there.

Have you got your ESTA for the States yet?

Have a great time, we love the States for holidays.

Keith

Guest vikkiann

Thanks Keith

I did our esta at the weekend.

We are stopping in Waikiki on the way back for 5 days .

Re checking in is a bit of a bummer!

Thanks Keith

I did our esta at the weekend.

We are stopping in Waikiki on the way back for 5 days .

It's the way the States work I am afraid, even with a transit flight straight back out of the country and you do not leave the airport, you still have to collect your bags and go through a process, also please make sure you have the special locks on your bags which are approved by the States customs otherwise they just cut through the locks if you do not remove them first.

Looks like you will be doing things in your 5 days so limits what you can do in your 7 hours, so why not just go into Honolulu itself, not much to see but a been there done that sort of thing, and cross that off your list so as not to waste any of your 5 days on the island later.

Pearl harbour is worth a visit but the entry set-up/ conditions have changed from when we were there last, but your hotel will give you some up to date info. We did not hire a car but maybe should have and with 4 of you worth thinking about, we did a whole island tour trip, and also used the odd 1 or 2 bus services. The beach at Waikiki is not of a great size so do not expect to do a lot of prolonged beachy things there.

If I think of anything I will let you know.

Should only have to do it in Hawaii, classed as domestic when you get to the mainland from Hawaii, so should then be easier for you when you get to the more hectic LAX (I assume) same goes when returning, but you just never know with the USA.

The customs/immigration people there always remind me of British Airways personnel........ must eat 6 lemons before starting duty and have a charisma bypass operation!!!, other than that I really like the Americans and the USA.