Guest Guest75

Great White Shark has a chew on a boat....

Hi Tyke,

Well that's my OH hooked!! He's been looking into booking a charter for sometime in December. Can you recommend anyone please?

Thanks for that, he'd seen that one but it's a 4 hour one, and he's looking at being out a bit longer, say 6hrs. A good deal though.

Guest Guest75

Glenelg Fishing Charters are good - if still run by John ,he will do his best to get you onto the fish.

The charter launching from O'Sullies fishes up in Hallett cove through Marino,often see it going past..

We had a 4.5m GW hanging around our boat for 10 mins earlier this year but no chewing fortunately. Awesome to see.

Amazing! Did he leave any bite marks or scratches on the boat / boat bits?

I love the way the water looks so clear and inviting.....

What would've happened if the burley (sp??)had been chucked in? Would he have eaten then gone away or become more interested in the boat - and then other boats? Do all you boaties have some kind of procedure when this happens?

So many questions lol!

:wideeyed: LC

Guest Guest75
    Amazing! Did he leave any bite marks or scratches on the boat / boat bits?

I love the way the water looks so clear and inviting.....

What would've happened if the burley (sp??)had been chucked in? Would he have eaten then gone away or become more interested in the boat - and then other boats? Do all you boaties have some kind of procedure when this happens?

So many questions lol!

:wideeyed: LC

1, I don't think he would have made many marks on the bottom of the motor, stainless steel and very tough paint.

I have seen an engine cover ( plastic) with gouge marks in though - the shark came out of the water to have a go at it.

2,I noticed there was a berley plunger on the left had side of the boat next to the engine, this is what makes sharks come and have a taste!

I berley with a net bag,brick in it and send it down to near the bottom. I've lost a few bags to sharks - nice to have a bit of distance between hungry shark and self.:smile:

I'd not chuck anything in myself!

3, There is a "sort of proceedure", no real official guidelines though - just older fishermen passing on with anecdotes and some common sense.

Always be ready to tilt your motor right out of the water or at least put it into gear - the spinning and vibration causes shark to go into bite mode.

Do not hang over the side / jump around or any thing to attract attention.

Do not wind the shark up - head of folk prodding with gaffs and all sorts of stuff.

Do not panic, just calmly pull lines in if you feel under threat.

We had a 4.5m lovely circle out boat with no threat earlier this year. It was awesome. See thread here........

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/fishing/35767-great-white-shark-encounter-today.html

Guest Guest75
    Wow - fabulous footage ! Did you have that 'jaws' music going on in your head at anytime? lol

You would think you'd here the music but no,just very,very silent......................................

Hubby went out with Glenelg fishing cheaters a couple of weeks ago, he had a great time. It is not run by John but the new guy Mark was good . If you want big fish best to do the off shore 9 hour trip, about $250 bit well worth it.

Guest Guest75
    Hubby went out with Glenelg fishing cheaters a couple of weeks ago, he had a great time. It is not run by John but the new guy Mark was good . If you want big fish best to do the off shore 9 hour trip, about $250 bit well worth it.

Good to know the new guy is doing well, we see the boat out there now and again.

Thanks for the reply, Tyke, it's fascinating.

I'd love to see a shark in its natural environment, up close. Must be awesome. Not that I fancy swimming with them lol!

:notworthy: LC