Anyone transported a cat with heart/health conditions?

Growler

Hi,

we are supposed to be emigrating next wednesday. One of my four cats had what the vet thought was pneumonia last week, however it looks like it is likely to be heart disease which eventually is fatal. An xray will be taken today to confirm. He has said he might be able to fly with medication. Some cats have lived for a few years with this some not. Problem is i have no one who could take him if hes not well enough and even if he is okay at the moment do i put him through a flight with this condition. What should i do hes 16 years old and have been awake all night crying. Bad enough he looks like hes got this, on top of us going next week. I couldnt end his life just because i choose to go to australia.....

Hi

So sorry to hear about one of your cats. Once they get to 16, which is old age for a cat, health issues appear just like they do in humans. If your vet is prepared to sign the paperwork and thinks your cat can travel, I would be tempted to send him. Cats are tough little creatures and can cope with the flight better than dogs. You dont know how long you will have him once he gets here but you obviously love and care for your animals and I am sure he would rather be with you and his mates. He may surprise you and last a few years yet. Cats often have the same medication as humans and it can be very effective. Our two cats went from the UK to NZ when they were 14. When they had a check up in NZ the vet found that one had the start of kidney failure and the other had a cataract and thyroid problems. While we were in NZ, the male cat had fluids every week for his kidneys, he had a stroke and nearly died and they both caught cat flu from a stay at a cattery. The female cat got sick too but with good care and medication they both made it to Australia when they were 17. Muffin made it to 19 and Daphne to 20. Sadly they both got cancer. Daph never got over losing Muffin as they had been together since a few weeks old. They had fantastic lives and travelled the world and they were happy to be with us. Its your decision if you bring your cat or not but I dont think you would forgive yourself if you didnt give him a chance.

Hope it all works out for you.

16 is old for a cat. Would you move your 95 year old terminally ill granny to a somewhere where the weather is about to hit 35? I have a couple of cats and a dog and in fact my wife is a vet but I wouldn't bring the cat. It may sound cold hearted but you are dealing with your guilt rather than the cat's health. Its a sorry situation but like leaving family behind, its one that has to be faced as the downside of moving over to here.

Hi

The female cat got sick too but with good care and medication they both made it to Australia when they were 17. Muffin made it to 19 and Daphne to 20. Sadly they both got cancer. Daph never got over losing Muffin as they had been together since a few weeks old. They had fantastic lives and travelled the world and they were happy to be with us. Its your decision if you bring your cat or not but I dont think you would forgive yourself if you didnt give him a chance.

Hope it all works out for you.

Hi Moggies - I remember your cats -

To the OP - I am a cat lover myself and completely sympathise with what you are saying. I visited Moggies on a couple of occasions and yes her cats were older but they seemed happy sleeping on the couch or near the window or in the garden. And as Moggies said her cats were 17 and Muffin made it to 19 and Daphne to 20 - that's a whole 2 & 3 years here in Oz. Your cat is part of your family and personally I believe if your cat can get even an extra year of comfortable life with you then why shouldn't you do that. It is definitely what I would do.