Ktee

Australias Traffic Jams

MOTORISTS in Australia are spending two hours more stuck in traffic jams than they were just 12 months ago.

The total time an average Australian spends in traffic congestion is now 92 hours a year, according to the Traffic Index.

Sydney predictably was the most congested city in Australia, wasting an average 42 minutes for every hour driven at peak times. The worst times to travel in Sydney were shown to be on Tuesday mornings and Friday afternoons.

Adelaide also saw a rise in congestion, according to the survey, whereas traffic congestion fell in Melbourne and Perth.

"The TomTom Traffic Index demonstrates that congestion is significantly rising globally and this is affecting Australia's major metropolitan cities. By providing an accurate analysis of traffic flow and routing traffic away from congested areas, TomTom plays a key role in helping to ease congestion and save Australians from spending valuable time stuck in traffic," said Chris Kearney, Vice President TomTom Asia Pacific.

Canberra was the least congested city of those surveyed in Australia and New Zealand.

If you hate being on the road, spare a thought for motorists across the Tasman. Congestion has increased more in Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington than any Australian capital city.

If you think driving in parts of Australia makes you so mad that you want to immigrate, think again.

Sydney now ranks just 14th in the world when it comes to traffic congestion. The worst, according to TomTom, is Moscow, followed by Istanbul, Łódź in Poland's third biggest city, Rio de Janeiro and Warsaw.

- See more at: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/travel/news/australian-motorists-spend-94-hours-a-year-in-congestion-tomtom-traffic-index/story-e6frg8ro-1226754339030#sthash.RTIbly73.dpuf

There are no traffic jams in Adelaide don't you know, it's the 20 minute City, lol :wink:

We are also known as the 20 minute city, as wherever you want to go it's 20 minutes. Unless you have a cyclone in your path then it could be a little longer :biglaugh:

There are no traffic jams in Adelaide don't you know, it's the 20 minute City, lol :wink:

I must be a proper adelaidian now, I measure my commute to work as twenty mins! Twenty mins from hospital to edge of city, twenty mins to expressway, twenty minutes to house! (An hour!!) :)

I must be a proper adelaidian now, I measure my commute to work as twenty mins! Twenty mins from hospital to edge of city, twenty mins to expressway, twenty minutes to house! (An hour!!) :)

If you live that far away, you're not an Adelaidian - you're a South Australian!

I used to commute from Mawson Lakes to Lonsdale every day, and became oblivious to it to a degree, I would get annoyed at some journeys when there had been a crash, but I felt sorry for people travelling from the south to work in the north, I couldn't put up with that traffic, ever, and I lived near birmingham.

Now I live way down south, my commute is 5 - 6 mins, I now consider a traffic jam, 2 or more cars at the roundabout. Finish work at 3:30, home by 3:35... Walking the puppies at the beach by 3:45pm.. Bliss.... Wherever I work in the future I will have to move to, I'm never going back to commuting, why waste your life in the car.