Sign in to follow this  
Guest Aussie pat

Validation visit

Guest Aussie pat

Our house is currently on the market. Given the doom and gloom re propert sales in the UK we are currently considering our options if the sale takes a long time. Does anyone know the terms and conditions re visa validation visits? Once the visa is validated how long can we return to the UK for, or do we have free movement for 5 years with no strings attached? I'd appreciate advice re this.

Guest maxxangel

I was under the impression that you have free movement until the visa expires and the if you are not a citizen you have to apply for a re-entry visa. One thing you may want to consider though is if you are a driver, then you have to swap your liscense within three months of first arrival. You will not be able to drive on a UK license after those 3 months. That was something that was putting us off. I don't know if you can swap it and use a friend or family address until you are permanently settled.

Cara

Guest Aussie pat

Thanks for the warning re the driver's licence. I have managed to find out that you must live in Australia for 2 of the 5 years before you need to apply for a reentry visa or get citizenship. Apparently the clock starts ticking from the day the visa is issued rather than the day it is validated.

Guest njacinthebox

When you change over your UK driving licence you have to take a theory test, which you also have to pay for ! We lived in Oz for 2 years and had to do the test in Sydney then we moved to Perth and just changed the licence so you only have to do the test once - its on a touch screen and you can revise on the internet. We wasnt aware of this when we went so thought it would be useful to enlighten everyone ; )

Guest maxxangel
    When you change over your UK driving licence you have to take a theory test, which you also have to pay for ! We lived in Oz for 2 years and had to do the test in Sydney then we moved to Perth and just changed the licence so you only have to do the test once - its on a touch screen and you can revise on the internet. We wasnt aware of this when we went so thought it would be useful to enlighten everyone ; )

You don't have to do the theory test any more as long as you exchange it within 3 months. I think you will have to do it if you leave it until after the 3 months. Not sure if you also have to take your practical if you wait until after the three months.

Guest Django

As far as I understand it is. You do not surrender your licence so you will be possession of both licences. There is no theory test to do. Just get your Oz licence within a few days of arrival then you won't need to worry about time limits. You will be able to go between Oz and UK and have a licence in both.

The only thing to remember is to change your address with the DVLC to a relatives house before you move 'for good'.

Pete

Guest Rachel & Jeff

Does anyone know anything definite about the time limits for getting an Aussie driving licence or any sites I can look at.

We are planning a validation visit in June but will only be there a couple of days so really need to know what will happen if we don't do our licences until we eventually sell our house and migrate for good.

Even if we can find time to get licences it will be in Sydney so would they be valid in Adelaide.

Rachel

Guest Aussie pat

I used to live in Adelaide and am now trying to move back. At that time each state had their own licence procedures. I'm not sure if this has changed but I've not heard anything to suggest it has.

We contacted the South Australian licensing agency lat week after I posted my query (Dept of Motor Vehicles) and they said that we don't have to get our Aussie licences until we have actually set up house there. A validation visit would not force us to change at that time. Hope this is of help.

Aussie Pat

Guest Libby1971

Re driving licences...

You need to have an Adelaide address if I remember correctly. I think Bob also had to produce his passport.

You don't need to do a theory test or any other test. You just go to the Offices of Motor Registry, and there are ones all over Adelaide, take the documentation required plus your UK license within 3 months of arriving, have a photo taken and abracadabra, in about 2 weeks an Aussie license comes through the post. In the meantime, you keep your receipt so if stopped you can say your license is on its way.

You can ask to keep your UK license although some of the customer service people there don't ask for it anyway.

You decide by the way how long to pay for your license...5 years, 10 years, 6 months, a year, whatever. I can't remember the amounts involved but am sure to find out soon.

Libby