jonathanallen

bricklaying work

Hi im new on looking to see if anyone can help. I am 41 and a qualified bricklayer and concretor with over 20 years experience . I have completed my vetasses and received a cert 3 to work in Australia. I have also taken my ielts and got over 7's but that can only give me a temporary visa I have taken the test a number of times and keep getting 9's in L R and S but keep getting 7.5 in writing so cant quite get the 20 points I need for permanent visa as we are a family of 5 and ideally would like it for security. My question is does anyone have any information on anyone that sponsors as I am all ready with my vetasses or offer an employment before we go if we opt for the temporary visa. I have been getting email alerts from job searches for the past 6 months but dont seem to be from adelaide area mainly WA but bricklayers are no longer on the list. If anyone has got any advice I would be very grateful or any telephone numbers of any building companies.

Thanks

Jon

It can be very hard for trade companies to sponsor people even if they want to. There are lots of boxes to tick, and the smaller the company, the less likely they are to manage it. Also, they have to have other Aussies in the job on permanent contracts, whereas many trades tend to employ people as casuals, or on their own Abn.

I'd stick with the temp visa. As long as you live and work where you are told to, nobody commits any big crimes, and nobody gets seriously ill, you are pretty much guaranteed pr at the end of the two years.

To be honest the building trades are struggling a bit . Bricklayers have been hit quite bad ,my son is a bricky and was out of work for a while as there was nothing going on it has picked up a bit over the last few months. I think you would be very lucky to get a job before you came over or even luckier to get someone to sponsor you most of the trades are self employed.

I would back up what Ian is saying. Trades just don't get sponsored. If someone has work it's for now and not for 6 months down the road when a sponsor gets here.

Edited by minty

Finally got 8 in the ielts submitted my EOI last week for 190 visa with 65 points so fingers crossed all goes well. Has anyone got any advise on what area to head for renting around adelaide area that would be near any construction kind of work also need to Consider a good primary for a 9 and 10 year old

Thanks jon

Finally got 8 in the ielts submitted my EOI last week for 190 visa with 65 points so fingers crossed all goes well. Has anyone got any advise on what area to head for renting around adelaide area that would be near any construction kind of work also need to Consider a good primary for a 9 and 10 year old

Thanks jon

My husband is a bricklayer and was sponsored on a 457. Everyone has different experiences. Just because it's hard for one person doesn't mean it's going to be hard for another.

My husband is a bricklayer and was sponsored on a 457. Everyone has different experiences. Just because it's hard for one person doesn't mean it's going to be hard for another.

Did your husband gain his 457 sponsorship by cold calling/visiting companies in Adelaide asking if they were willing to sponsor someone or through someone you know? Could be helpful to others to know the method you used as it was obviously successful.

Hi,

he literally saw saw an advert in the local paper, he called and got the job and after a couple of months his employer offered to sponsor him as his WHV was coming to an end. His employer was only a small company so worth trying all companies not just the big ones!

Yes I know couple of people who have been sponsored that way . That's because they were already in Australia and they were already working like you said on a WHV . When you ring from the UK most firms can't guarantee that they will have the same contract for the next two and half years. I'm definitely too old for a WHV !!!! Lol. Hopefully if all goes well we would like to be in adelaide by July or August so can go door to door personally so to speak.

Things have picked up a bit for Bricklayers not saying there is loads of work but there is some about but do not know how long for I saw an advert in the paper for a bricklayer that would have been the first one in a long time.